Calibration of low activity caesium tubes and needles traceable to the therapy level standard.
AffiliationNorth Western Medical Physics Department, Christie Hospital, Manchester, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractA technique for deriving the reference air kerma rate for low activity brachytherapy sources that is traceable to the therapy level standard at the National Physical Laboratory is presented. Correction factors have been generated to account for the finite source and detector size. The air kerma rate calibration of the secondary standard for caesium quality has been derived by polynomial curve fitting. The reference air kerma rates for several caesium tubes and needles have been determined and the results compared with the manufacturers' source test reports. For all the source types used the agreement between methods was within 2%.
CitationCalibration of low activity caesium tubes and needles traceable to the therapy level standard. 1994, 67 (794):194-9 Br J Radiol
JournalThe British Journal of Radiology
- Direct measurement of air kerma rate in air from CDCS J-type caesium-137 therapy sources using a Farmer ionization chamber.
- Authors: Poynter AJ
- Issue date: 2000 Apr
- Calibration of pre-cut iridium-192 wires for low dose rate interstitial brachytherapy using a Farmer-type ionization chamber.
- Authors: Vollans SE, Wilkinson JM
- Issue date: 2000 Feb
- The IPEM code of practice for determination of the reference air kerma rate for HDR (192)Ir brachytherapy sources based on the NPL air kerma standard.
- Authors: Bidmead AM, Sander T, Locks SM, Lee CD, Aird EG, Nutbrown RF, Flynn A, IPEM Working Party.
- Issue date: 2010 Jun 7
- A practical implementation of the 2010 IPEM high dose rate brachytherapy code of practice for the calibration of 192Ir sources.
- Authors: Awunor OA, Lecomber AR, Richmond N, Walker C
- Issue date: 2011 Aug 21
- Dosimetric characteristics, air-kerma strength calibration and verification of Monte Carlo simulation for a new Ytterbium-169 brachytherapy source.
- Authors: Perera H, Williamson JF, Li Z, Mishra V, Meigooni AS
- Issue date: 1994 Mar 1