Can the uptake of breast screening by Asian women be increased? A randomized controlled trial of a linkworker intervention.
AffiliationCentre for Cancer Epidemiology, Christie Hospital NHS Trust, Withington, Manchester.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThis study investigates the effectiveness of a linkworker intervention, giving encouragement and explanations about breast screening, on the subsequent attendance for screening by 'Asian' women. The control group received no visits. The study population comprised all women with Asian names, from a batch of general practices where high proportions of patients were Asian, who were invited for screening. It was found that 59 per cent of the intervention group could be contacted by linkworkers. No difference in attendance was found between the intervention and control groups (49 per cent and 47 per cent). Twenty-five per cent of women were permanently or temporarily not resident at the invitation address. Attendance for screening was related to length of stay in the United Kingdom. This type of intervention was not a successful strategy for promoting uptake by Asian women, and indicates that it is essential to evaluate rigorously projects with such objectives.
CitationCan the uptake of breast screening by Asian women be increased? A randomized controlled trial of a linkworker intervention. 1994, 16 (2):179-85 J Public Health Med
JournalJournal of Public Health Medicine
- Improving uptake of breast screening in multiethnic populations: a randomised controlled trial using practice reception staff to contact non-attenders.
- Authors: Atri J, Falshaw M, Gregg R, Robson J, Omar RZ, Dixon S
- Issue date: 1997 Nov 22
- Breast screening and ethnic minorities.
- Authors: Hoare T
- Issue date: 1996 Sep
- A randomised trial of invitations to attend for screening mammography.
- Authors: Turnbull D, Irwig L, Adelson P
- Issue date: 1991 Mar
- Evaluation of a pilot study for breast and cervical cancer screening with Bradford's minority ethnic women; a community development approach, 1991-93.
- Authors: Kernohan EE
- Issue date: 1996 Sep
- Effect on attendance at breast cancer screening of adding a self administered questionnaire to the usual invitation to breast screening in southern England.
- Authors: Banks E, Richardson A, Beral V, Crossley B, Simmonds M, Hilton E, English R, Davis J, Austoker J
- Issue date: 1998 Feb