Can the uptake of breast screening by Asian women be increased? A randomized controlled trial of a linkworker intervention.
AffiliationCentre for Cancer Epidemiology, Christie Hospital NHS Trust, Withington, Manchester.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThis study investigates the effectiveness of a linkworker intervention, giving encouragement and explanations about breast screening, on the subsequent attendance for screening by 'Asian' women. The control group received no visits. The study population comprised all women with Asian names, from a batch of general practices where high proportions of patients were Asian, who were invited for screening. It was found that 59 per cent of the intervention group could be contacted by linkworkers. No difference in attendance was found between the intervention and control groups (49 per cent and 47 per cent). Twenty-five per cent of women were permanently or temporarily not resident at the invitation address. Attendance for screening was related to length of stay in the United Kingdom. This type of intervention was not a successful strategy for promoting uptake by Asian women, and indicates that it is essential to evaluate rigorously projects with such objectives.
CitationCan the uptake of breast screening by Asian women be increased? A randomized controlled trial of a linkworker intervention. 1994, 16 (2):179-85 J Public Health Med
JournalJournal of Public Health Medicine
- Uptake of breast screening by Asian women.
- Authors: Hameed A, Madhok R
- Issue date: 1995 Mar
- Cervical cytology screening: a comparison of uptake among 'Asian' and 'non-Asian' women in Oldham.
- Authors: Bradley SM, Friedman EH
- Issue date: 1993 Mar
- Comparison of breast and bowel cancer screening uptake patterns in a common cohort of South Asian women in England.
- Authors: Price CL, Szczepura AK, Gumber AK, Patnick J
- Issue date: 2010 Apr 27
- Improving uptake of breast screening in multiethnic populations: a randomised controlled trial using practice reception staff to contact non-attenders.
- Authors: Atri J, Falshaw M, Gregg R, Robson J, Omar RZ, Dixon S
- Issue date: 1997 Nov 22
- Strategies for increasing women participation in community breast cancer screening.
- Authors: Bonfill X, Marzo M, Pladevall M, Martí J, Emparanza JI
- Issue date: 2001