Cancer experience in the relatives of an unselected series of breast cancer patients.
AffiliationCancer Research Campaign Paediatric and Familial Cancer Research Group, Christie Hospital NHS Trust, Manchester, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractFirst- and second-degree relatives of an unselected series of 402 breast cancer patients have been studied for their cancer experience. In the first-degree relatives an excess of all cancers is seen [overall relative risk (RR) = 1.28, P = 0.002; males RR = 1.26, P = 0.047; females RR = 1.30, P = 0.022). There is a marked excess of sarcoma (RR = 4.26, P = 0.0064); females are at high risk of breast cancer (RR = 2.68, P < 0.0001) and males have an excess of carcinoma of the lip, oral cavity and pharynx (RR = 4.22, P = 0.0032). Second-degree relatives have a non-significant excess of all cancers (RR = 1.14, P = 0.14); females have a borderline excess of breast cancer (RR = 1.53, P = 0.08) and an excess of carcinoma of the kidney (RR = 7.46, P = 0.0012) and males have an excess of carcinoma of the trachea and lung (RR = 1.50, P = 0.032). No excess of prostate or ovarian carcinoma was seen. Relatives are at slightly higher risk if the index patient is diagnosed between the ages of 40 and 49 (first-degree RR = 1.64, P = 0.007; second-degree RR = 1.43, P = 0.02). The excess of cancers, including breast cancers, is not limited to a few high-risk families, but appears to be spread across many. These observations may be accounted for by shared environmental factors within families or a common predisposing gene with low penetrance.
CitationCancer experience in the relatives of an unselected series of breast cancer patients. 1994, 70 (1):102-11 Br. J. Cancer
JournalBritish Journal of Cancer
- Prophylactic Oophorectomy: Reducing the U.S. Death Rate from Epithelial Ovarian Cancer. A Continuing Debate.
- Authors: Piver MS
- Issue date: 1996
- Cancer in the families of children with soft tissue sarcoma.
- Authors: Birch JM, Hartley AL, Blair V, Kelsey AM, Harris M, Teare MD, Jones PH
- Issue date: 1990 Nov 15
- Cancer incidence in the first-degree relatives of ovarian cancer patients.
- Authors: Auranen A, Pukkala E, Mäkinen J, Sankila R, Grénman S, Salmi T
- Issue date: 1996 Jul
- Population-based cohort investigations of the risk for malignant tumors in first-degree relatives and wives of men with breast cancer.
- Authors: Olsson H, Andersson H, Johansson O, Möller TR, Kristoffersson U, Wenngren E
- Issue date: 1993 Feb 15
- Risk for smoking-related cancer among relatives of lung cancer patients.
- Authors: Etzel CJ, Amos CI, Spitz MR
- Issue date: 2003 Dec 1