Carcinosarcoma of the ovary treated over a 10-year period at the Christie Hospital.
AffiliationCRC Department of Medical Oncology, Christie Hospital & Holt Radium Institute, Wilmslow Road,Department of Reproductive Pathology, St Mary's Hospital, Oxford Road, Manchester, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractCarcinosarcomas (previously termed malignant mixed Müllerian tumors) are highly malignant but rare tumors of the ovary. Most patients have been treated according to a wide variety of protocols for soft tissue sarcoma or for epithelial ovarian carcinoma and as a result the optimal treatment for this neoplasm is unknown. We describe here 20 patients with this ovarian tumor (15 with heterologous sarcomatous elements and five with homologous sarcomatous elements) referred to our institute. Five patients were treated with surgery alone, two patients with chemotherapy alone and 13 patients with a combination of surgery and chemotherapy. A variety of chemotherapeutic regimens were used reflecting the 10-year time span it took to accrue these patients. Forty-five per cent of all patients died within 1 year of initial surgery and there was a median survival of 14 months. Two patients achieved a complete remission following treatment with 10 cycles of intravenous cyclophosphamide and are still alive at 103 and 106 months follow-up. We suggest that a chemotherapy regimen combining cyclophosphamide and a platinum analog may be useful for the management of patients with carcinosarcoma of the ovary requiring further therapy following surgery.
CitationCarcinosarcoma of the ovary treated over a 10-year period at the Christie Hospital. 1994, 4 (3):200-205 Int. J. Gynecol. Cancer
JournalInternational Journal of Gynecological Cancer
- Platinum, anthracycline, and alkylating agent-based chemotherapy for ovarian carcinosarcoma.
- Authors: Signorelli M, Chiappa V, Minig L, Fruscio R, Perego P, Caspani G, Battistello M, Colombo N
- Issue date: 2009 Aug
- Gynecologic Cancer InterGroup (GCIG) consensus review for uterine and ovarian carcinosarcoma.
- Authors: Berton-Rigaud D, Devouassoux-Shisheboran M, Ledermann JA, Leitao MM, Powell MA, Poveda A, Beale P, Glasspool RM, Creutzberg CL, Harter P, Kim JW, Reed NS, Ray-Coquard I
- Issue date: 2014 Nov
- Ovarian carcinosarcomas: clinicopathological prognostic factors and evaluation of chemotherapy regimens containing platinum.
- Authors: Cicin I, Saip P, Eralp Y, Selam M, Topuz S, Ozluk Y, Aydin Y, Topuz E
- Issue date: 2008 Jan
- Carcinosarcoma of the ovary treated with platinum and taxane: the memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center experience.
- Authors: Leiser AL, Chi DS, Ishill NM, Tew WP
- Issue date: 2007 Jun
- Presence of a sarcomatous component outside the ovary is an adverse prognostic factor for primary ovarian malignant mixed mesodermal/mullerian tumors: a clinicopathologic study of 47 cases.
- Authors: Kunkel J, Peng Y, Tao Y, Krigman H, Cao D
- Issue date: 2012 Jun