Second primary neoplasms in a population-based series of patients diagnosed with renal tumours in childhood.
AffiliationDepartment of Epidemiology and Social Oncology, Christie Hospital NHS Trust, Manchester, England.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractEight second malignant tumours developed in a population-based series of 218 patients diagnosed with renal tumours in childhood: renal cell carcinoma of the contralateral kidney, hepatocellular carcinoma, Hodgkin's disease, and 4 basal cell and 1 squamous cell carcinomas of skin. Excess risk of developing a second malignancy (excluding skin carcinomas but including a registrable spinal neurofibroma) was 14.7 (95% CI 4.0-37.7, P = 0.0003) for Wilms' tumour patients. Cumulative incidence of second malignant neoplasms (excluding skin carcinoma) was zero at 10 years, 5.0% at 20 years, and 10.2% at 30 years. The most common second neoplasms seen were benign osseous/chondromatous tumours and 4 of the 7 Wilms' tumour patients with malignant tumours had previous or synchronous tumours of this kind. Development of bony exostoses may be a marker for those patients at particularly high risk of subsequent malignancy.
CitationSecond primary neoplasms in a population-based series of patients diagnosed with renal tumours in childhood. 1994, 22 (5):318-24 Med. Pediatr. Oncol.
JournalMedical and Pediatric Oncology
- Simultaneous Wilms' tumours in monozygotic twins. Case report and review of the literature.
- Authors: Svane S
- Issue date: 1997 Jun
- Second primary neoplasms in survivors of Wilms' tumour--a population-based cohort study from the British Childhood Cancer Survivor Study.
- Authors: Taylor AJ, Winter DL, Pritchard-Jones K, Stiller CA, Frobisher C, Lancashire ER, Reulen RC, Hawkins MM, British Childhood Cancer Survivor Study.
- Issue date: 2008 May 1
- Diagnostic utility of Wilms' tumour-1 protein (WT-1) immunostaining in paediatric renal tumours.
- Authors: Goyal S, Mishra K, Sarkar U, Sharma S, Kumari A
- Issue date: 2016 May
- Second malignant neoplasms following treatment for Wilm's tumor: a report from the National Wilms' Tumor Study Group.
- Authors: Breslow NE, Takashima JR, Whitton JA, Moksness J, D'Angio GJ, Green DM
- Issue date: 1995 Aug
- Familial papillary renal cell tumors and subsequent cancers: a nationwide epidemiological study from Sweden.
- Authors: Czene K, Hemminki K
- Issue date: 2003 Apr