bcl-2 delay of alkylating agent-induced apoptotic death in a murine hemopoietic stem cell line.
AuthorsFairbairn, Leslie J
Cowling, Graham J
Dexter, T Michael
Rafferty, Joseph A
Margison, Geoffrey P
Reipert, Brigit M
AffiliationCRC Department of Experimental Haematology, Paterson Institute for Cancer Research, Christie Hospital National Health Service Trust, Manchester, United Kingdom.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractMany cytotoxic agents kill cells by invoking a specific death pathway termed physiological cell death, or apoptosis. Treatment of a murine hemopoietic stem cell line, FDCP-mix, with methylmethanesulfonate (MMS) or N'-methyl-N'-nitrosourea (MNU) leads to death by apoptosis. Retroviral gene transfer was used to overexpress the bcl-2 oncogene in FDCP-mix cells, and this was associated with a delay in apoptosis in these cells after treatment with MNU and MMS and decreased sensitivity of colony formation to the cytotoxic effects of MMS. These data suggest an explanation for the refractory nature of bcl-2-expressing follicular lymphoma to cytotoxic chemotherapy and furthermore suggest that DNA-damaging antitumor therapy may contribute to the progression of disease.
Citationbcl-2 delay of alkylating agent-induced apoptotic death in a murine hemopoietic stem cell line. 1994, 11 (1):49-55 Mol. Carcinog.
- A comparison of the molecular action of an SN1-type methylating agent, methyl nitrosourea and an SN2-type methylating agent, methyl methanesulfonate, in the germ cells of male mice.
- Authors: Sega GA, Wolfe KW, Owens JG
- Issue date: 1981 Jan
- Chemical induction of thymomas in AKR mice: interaction of chemical carcinogens and endogenous murine leukemia viruses. Comparison of N-methyl-N-nitrosourea and methyl methanesulphonate.
- Authors: Warren W, Clark JP, Gardner E, Harris G, Cooper CS, Lawley PD
- Issue date: 1990
- Apaf-1 deficient mouse fibroblasts are resistant to MNNG and MMS-induced apoptotic death without attenuation of Bcl-2 decline.
- Authors: Tomicic MT, Christmann M, Fabian K, Kaina B
- Issue date: 2005 Sep 1
- Postreplication repair of alkylation damage to DNA of mammalian cells in culture.
- Authors: Fujiwara Y
- Issue date: 1975 Oct
- Deregulated Bcl-2 gene expression selectively prolongs survival of growth factor-deprived hemopoietic cell lines.
- Authors: Nuñez G, London L, Hockenbery D, Alexander M, McKearn JP, Korsmeyer SJ
- Issue date: 1990 May 1