Changes in normal and abnormal colony formation of thyroid cells in vivo, when transplanted at 1 day or 6 weeks after X-irradiation in situ.
AffiliationDepartment of Cancer Research, Hiroshima University, Japan.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThyroid cells were given 5.5 Gy X-rays in situ and transplanted after 1 day or after 6 weeks to form colonies in fat pads. The colony-forming efficiency unexpectedly decreased by a factor of about 2 with this increase in delay time before transplantation. In addition, there was a concomitant marked increase above the control levels in the proportion of new structures of thyroid origin containing abnormal follicles. These quantitative and qualitative increases in injury may be related to the gradual expression of thyroid abnormalities following irradiation in situ, and they may have implications for the recovery of functional tissue subunits in other organs.
CitationChanges in normal and abnormal colony formation of thyroid cells in vivo, when transplanted at 1 day or 6 weeks after X-irradiation in situ. 1994, 35 (2):116-22 J. Radiat. Res.
JournalJournal of Radiation Research
- Differential radiation sensitivity to morphological, functional and molecular changes of human thyroid tissues and bone marrow cells maintained in SCID mice.
- Authors: Nomura T, Hongyo T, Nakajima H, Li LY, Syaifudin M, Adachi S, Ryo H, Baskar R, Fukuda K, Oka Y, Sugiyama H, Matsuzuka F
- Issue date: 2008 Nov 17
- Clonogen number and radiosensitivity in rat thyroid follicles.
- Authors: Watanabe H, Hendry JH
- Issue date: 1991 Nov
- Quantifying the frequency of radiogenic thyroid cancer per clonogenic cell in vivo.
- Authors: Domann FE, Freitas MA, Gould MN, Clifton KH
- Issue date: 1994 Mar
- Effect of age on the sensitivity of the rat thyroid gland to ionizing radiation.
- Authors: Matsuu-Matsuyama M, Shichijo K, Okaichi K, Kurashige T, Kondo H, Miura S, Nakashima M
- Issue date: 2015 May
- Inhibition of carcinoma formation and of vascular invasion in grafts of radiation-initiated thyroid clonogens by unirradiated thyroid cells.
- Authors: Watanabe H, Tanner MA, Domann FE, Gould MN, Clifton KH
- Issue date: 1988 Aug