Inactivation of O6-alkylguanine-DNA alkyltransferase in human peripheral blood mononuclear cells by temozolomide.
AffiliationCRC Department of Carcinogenesis, Paterson Institute for Cancer Research, Christie Hospital NHS Trust, Manchester, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractO6-alkylguanine-DNA-alkyltransferase (ATase) activity was measured in extracts of peripheral blood mononuclear cells (PMCs) taken from eight patients at various times during 5 days of oral treatment with temozolomide (150 mg m-2, days 1-5). Pretreatment ATase levels ranged from approximately 70 to 600 fmol per mg of protein. Depletion of PMC ATase was seen within 4 h of the first dose of temozolomide and had a median nadir of 52.9% and values ranging from 44.4% to 71.0% of pretreatment levels. There was a correlation between the extent of ATase depletion (pretreatment minus nadir level) and the pretreatment ATase level (r = 0.97). A progressive depletion of ATase was observed during the 5 days of continuous temozolomide therapy with median ATase activities of 66.3%, 52.5%, 39.5%, 30.5% and 28.9% of the pretreatment values at days 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6 respectively. This suggests that the schedule-dependent anti-tumour activity of temozolomide seen in experimental models and clinics may be related to a cumulative depletion of ATase.
CitationInactivation of O6-alkylguanine-DNA alkyltransferase in human peripheral blood mononuclear cells by temozolomide. 1994, 69 (3):452-6 Br. J. Cancer
JournalBritish Journal of Cancer
PubMed Central ID1968858
- Dosage and cycle effects of dacarbazine (DTIC) and fotemustine on O6-alkylguanine-DNA alkyltransferase in human peripheral blood mononuclear cells.
- Authors: Lee SM, Thatcher N, Dougal M, Margison GP
- Issue date: 1993 Feb
- O6-alkylguanine-DNA alkyltransferase depletion and regeneration in human peripheral lymphocytes following dacarbazine and fotemustine.
- Authors: Lee SM, Thatcher N, Margison GP
- Issue date: 1991 Jan 15
- In vivo depletion of O6-alkylguanine-DNA-alkyltransferase in lymphocytes and melanoma of patients treated with CB 10-277, a new DTIC analogue.
- Authors: Lee SM, Thatcher N, Crowther D, Margison GP
- Issue date: 1992
- Temozolomide pharmacodynamics in patients with metastatic melanoma: dna damage and activity of repair enzymes O6-alkylguanine alkyltransferase and poly(ADP-ribose) polymerase-1.
- Authors: Plummer ER, Middleton MR, Jones C, Olsen A, Hickson I, McHugh P, Margison GP, McGown G, Thorncroft M, Watson AJ, Boddy AV, Calvert AH, Harris AL, Newell DR, Curtin NJ
- Issue date: 2005 May 1
- Depletion of O6-alkylguanine-DNA alkyltransferase correlates with potentiation of temozolomide and CCNU toxicity in human tumour cells.
- Authors: Baer JC, Freeman AA, Newlands ES, Watson AJ, Rafferty JA, Margison GP
- Issue date: 1993 Jun