Cytokeratin expression in epithelial cells isolated from the crypt and villus regions of the rodent small intestine.
AffiliationCRC Department of Epithelial Biology, Paterson Institute for Cancer Research, Christie Hospital (NHS) Trust, Manchester, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractMany physiological and structural features of epithelium in the small intestine are regulated during their transit from the crypt base to the villus tip. This crypt-villus axis is an important model for the study of the regulation of cell proliferation and differentiation. We have investigated the expression of cytokeratins in purified epithelial cells from the proliferative (crypt) and differentiated (villus) regions of this tissue. Three polypeptides were identified (cytokeratins 8, 18 and 19) as well as a fourth, 46 kDa polypeptide with similar electrophoretic characteristics to the recently identified cytokeratin 20. The distribution of these molecules was found to vary along the crypt-villus axis, with cytokeratin 18 being restricted to the proliferative crypt and cytokeratins 8 and 19 demonstrating more uniform distributions. The 46 kDa component was found to be expressed predominantly within the villus epithelium. Although there is no substantial evidence of a direct role for cytokeratins in the process of epithelial differentiation, these data suggest that differential expression of cytokeratins is associated with changes in intestinal epithelial differentiation.
CitationCytokeratin expression in epithelial cells isolated from the crypt and villus regions of the rodent small intestine. 1994, 3 (1):16-23 Epithelial Cell Biol
JournalEpithelial Cell Biology
- Apoptosis and differentiation in the crypt-villus unit of the rat small intestine.
- Authors: Westcarr S, Farshori P, Wyche J, Anderson WA
- Issue date: 1999 Jan
- Epithelial cell turnover--extracellular matrix relationship in the small intestine of human adults.
- Authors: Groos S, Hünefeld G, Luciano L
- Issue date: 2001
- Repressed E-cadherin expression in the lower crypt of human small intestine: a cell marker of functional relevance.
- Authors: Escaffit F, Perreault N, Jean D, Francoeur C, Herring E, Rancourt C, Rivard N, Vachon PH, Paré F, Boucher MP, Auclair J, Beaulieu JF
- Issue date: 2005 Jan 15
- Differential expression of the VLA family of integrins along the crypt-villus axis in the human small intestine.
- Authors: Beaulieu JF
- Issue date: 1992 Jul
- Human cell models to study small intestinal functions: recapitulation of the crypt-villus axis.
- Authors: Pageot LP, Perreault N, Basora N, Francoeur C, Magny P, Beaulieu JF
- Issue date: 2000 May 15