Cytokeratin expression in epithelial cells isolated from the crypt and villus regions of the rodent small intestine.
AffiliationCRC Department of Epithelial Biology, Paterson Institute for Cancer Research, Christie Hospital (NHS) Trust, Manchester, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractMany physiological and structural features of epithelium in the small intestine are regulated during their transit from the crypt base to the villus tip. This crypt-villus axis is an important model for the study of the regulation of cell proliferation and differentiation. We have investigated the expression of cytokeratins in purified epithelial cells from the proliferative (crypt) and differentiated (villus) regions of this tissue. Three polypeptides were identified (cytokeratins 8, 18 and 19) as well as a fourth, 46 kDa polypeptide with similar electrophoretic characteristics to the recently identified cytokeratin 20. The distribution of these molecules was found to vary along the crypt-villus axis, with cytokeratin 18 being restricted to the proliferative crypt and cytokeratins 8 and 19 demonstrating more uniform distributions. The 46 kDa component was found to be expressed predominantly within the villus epithelium. Although there is no substantial evidence of a direct role for cytokeratins in the process of epithelial differentiation, these data suggest that differential expression of cytokeratins is associated with changes in intestinal epithelial differentiation.
CitationCytokeratin expression in epithelial cells isolated from the crypt and villus regions of the rodent small intestine. 1994, 3 (1):16-23 Epithelial Cell Biol
JournalEpithelial Cell Biology
- Differential expression of the VLA family of integrins along the crypt-villus axis in the human small intestine.
- Authors: Beaulieu JF
- Issue date: 1992 Jul
- Cell proliferation in chicken intestinal epithelium occurs both in the crypt and along the villus.
- Authors: Uni Z, Platin R, Sklan D
- Issue date: 1998 May
- Apoptosis and differentiation in the crypt-villus unit of the rat small intestine.
- Authors: Westcarr S, Farshori P, Wyche J, Anderson WA
- Issue date: 1999 Jan
- Epithelial cell turnover--extracellular matrix relationship in the small intestine of human adults.
- Authors: Groos S, Hünefeld G, Luciano L
- Issue date: 2001
- Expression of cytokeratins in epithelial cells isolated from the crypt and villus of the small intestine.
- Authors: Flint N, Evans GS
- Issue date: 1992 May