Differential expression of viral and human interleukin-10 (IL-10) by primary B cell tumors and B cell lines.
AffiliationDepartment of Virology and Molecular Biology, St. Jude Children's Research Hospital, Memphis, Tennessee 38101-0318.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractHuman and viral interleukin-10 (IL-10) possess growth factor activity for human B cells and may act as autocrine growth factors in B cell malignancies. To study this possibility we have measured viral (v) and human (h) IL-10 expression in EBV-positive and negative B lineage tumors and tumor cell lines. Previous studies demonstrated IL-10 expression in cell lines and now we describe the pattern of IL-10 expression in primary Burkitt's lymphoma (BL) tumor biopsies and in BL lines of defined phenotypes. vIL-10 was expressed during the lytic (productive) phase of EBV infection, but not during virus latency. Although hIL-10 was expressed in the majority of B cell lines, it was not expressed in two BL biopsy specimens. Expression of hIL-10 did not correlate with the presence of EBV, but was associated with the differentiation state of the B cell line. Thus, vIL-10 may enhance the persistence of B cells infected at sites of virus replication, and while hIL-10 may be a factor in the growth both in vivo and in vitro of some BLs and EBV-transformed B cells, it is not an absolute requirement.
CitationDifferential expression of viral and human interleukin-10 (IL-10) by primary B cell tumors and B cell lines. 1994, 200 (2):724-32 Virology
- CD44 isoforms containing exons V6 and V7 are differentially expressed on mitogenically stimulated normal and Epstein-Barr virus-transformed human B cells.
- Authors: Kryworuckho M, Diaz-Mitoma F, Kumar A
- Issue date: 1995 Sep
- Phenotype-related differences in the expression of D-type cyclins in human B cell-derived lines.
- Authors: Pokrovskaja K, Ehlin-Henriksson B, Bartkova J, Bartek J, Scuderi R, Szekely L, Wiman KG, Klein G
- Issue date: 1996 Dec
- Epstein-Barr virus encoded BALF1 gene is transcribed in Burkitt's lymphoma cell lines and in nasopharyngeal carcinoma's biopsies.
- Authors: Cabras G, Decaussin G, Zeng Y, Djennaoui D, Melouli H, Broully P, Bouguermouh AM, Ooka T
- Issue date: 2005 Sep
- Human interleukin-6 is in vivo an autocrine growth factor for human herpesvirus-8-infected malignant B lymphocytes.
- Authors: Foussat A, Wijdenes J, Bouchet L, Gaidano G, Neipel F, Balabanian K, Galanaud P, Couderc J, Emilie D
- Issue date: 1999 Dec
- Epstein-Barr virus-encoded poly(A)(-) RNA supports Burkitt's lymphoma growth through interleukin-10 induction.
- Authors: Kitagawa N, Goto M, Kurozumi K, Maruo S, Fukayama M, Naoe T, Yasukawa M, Hino K, Suzuki T, Todo S, Takada K
- Issue date: 2000 Dec 15