Granulocyte colony stimulating factor: from laboratory bench to clinical use.
AuthorsDexter, T Michael
AffiliationDepartment of Experimental Haematology, Paterson Institute for Cancer Research, Christie Hospital NHS Trust, Manchester, U.K.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractA great deal has been learned about haematopoiesis since the discovery, purification and cloning of haemopoietic growth factors. The function of these growth factors is to promote survival and enhance mitosis (at higher concentrations), and influence differentiation and development of stem cells and progenitor cells. The type of mature cells produced reflects the combinations of growth factors to which the stem cells are exposed. Growth factors may also control the functional activity of mature cells. Treatment with granulocyte colony stimulating factor (G-CSF) produces neutrophils that are at least equivalent to those produced during normal haematopoiesis and does not appear to deplete the haematopoietic stem or progenitor cell populations.
CitationGranulocyte colony stimulating factor: from laboratory bench to clinical use. 1994, 30A Suppl 3:S15-9 Eur. J. Cancer
JournalEuropean Journal of Cancer
- Ex vivo expansion of enriched peripheral blood CD34+ progenitor cells by stem cell factor, interleukin-1 beta (IL-1 beta), IL-6, IL-3, interferon-gamma, and erythropoietin.
- Authors: Brugger W, Möcklin W, Heimfeld S, Berenson RJ, Mertelsmann R, Kanz L
- Issue date: 1993 May 15
- Severe congenital neutropenia: abnormal growth and differentiation of myeloid progenitors to granulocyte colony-stimulating factor (G-CSF) but normal response to G-CSF plus stem cell factor.
- Authors: Hestdal K, Welte K, Lie SO, Keller JR, Ruscetti FW, Abrahamsen TG
- Issue date: 1993 Nov 15
- Steel factor (c-kit ligand) promotes the survival of hematopoietic stem/progenitor cells in the absence of cell division.
- Authors: Keller JR, Ortiz M, Ruscetti FW
- Issue date: 1995 Sep 1
- Expansion of neutrophil precursors and progenitors in suspension cultures of CD34+ cells enriched from human bone marrow.
- Authors: Smith SL, Bender JG, Maples PB, Unverzagt K, Schilling M, Lum L, Williams S, Van Epps DE
- Issue date: 1993 Jul
- The cellular basis for enhancement interactions between stem cell factor and the colony stimulating factors.
- Authors: Metcalf D
- Issue date: 1993 Jul