Identification of a naturally processed HLA A0201-restricted viral peptide from cells expressing human papillomavirus type 16 E6 oncoprotein.
AffiliationDepartment of Immunology, Paterson Institute for Cancer Research, Christie Hospital NHS Trust, Manchester, GB.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractHuman papillomavirus (HPV) DNA encoding the oncogenic proteins E6 and E7 is usually retained in cervical carcinomas, implicating these proteins as potential target antigens for immune recognition in this virally associated tumor. We have characterized endogenously processed peptides eluted from major histocompatibility complex class I molecules in cells infected with a recombinant vaccinia expressing the HPV-16 E6 oncoprotein. The reverse-phase chromatography profile of peptides eluted from isolated HLA-A0201 molecules in cells expressing the E6 oncoprotein differs from that of cells not expressing E6. Sequential Edman degradation of novel peaks found in the peptide profiles from cells expressing HPV-16 E6 led to the identification of a naturally processed HLA-A0201-restricted E6 peptide of sequence KLPQLCTEL. This approach has allowed the identification of a viral peptide which is processed and presented by cells expressing the E6 oncoprotein and is a likely target for cytotoxic T lymphocyte recognition in HLA-A0201-positive patients.
CitationIdentification of a naturally processed HLA A0201-restricted viral peptide from cells expressing human papillomavirus type 16 E6 oncoprotein. 1994, 24 (12):3175-9 Eur. J. Immunol.
JournalEuropean Journal of Immunology
- Human CTL epitopes encoded by human papillomavirus type 16 E6 and E7 identified through in vivo and in vitro immunogenicity studies of HLA-A*0201-binding peptides.
- Authors: Ressing ME, Sette A, Brandt RM, Ruppert J, Wentworth PA, Hartman M, Oseroff C, Grey HM, Melief CJ, Kast WM
- Issue date: 1995 Jun 1
- Human T-cell responses to HLA-A-restricted high binding affinity peptides of human papillomavirus type 18 proteins E6 and E7.
- Authors: Rudolf MP, Man S, Melief CJ, Sette A, Kast WM
- Issue date: 2001 Mar
- Role of HLA-A motifs in identification of potential CTL epitopes in human papillomavirus type 16 E6 and E7 proteins.
- Authors: Kast WM, Brandt RM, Sidney J, Drijfhout JW, Kubo RT, Grey HM, Melief CJ, Sette A
- Issue date: 1994 Apr 15
- Induction of specific CD8+ T-lymphocyte responses using a human papillomavirus-16 E6/E7 fusion protein and autologous dendritic cells.
- Authors: Murakami M, Gurski KJ, Marincola FM, Ackland J, Steller MA
- Issue date: 1999 Mar 15
- Induction of cytotoxic T lymphocytes specific for a syngeneic tumor expressing the E6 oncoprotein of human papillomavirus type 16.
- Authors: Chen L, Mizuno MT, Singhal MC, Hu SL, Galloway DA, Hellström I, Hellström KE
- Issue date: 1992 Apr 15