Isolation of a cDNA encoding 5T4 oncofetal trophoblast glycoprotein. An antigen associated with metastasis contains leucine-rich repeats.
AffiliationCancer Research Campaign Department of Immunology, Paterson Institute for Cancer Research, Christie Hospital, Manchester, United Kingdom.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe monoclonal antibody 5T4 defines a human oncotrophoblast antigen expressed by a variety of carcinomas but with a restricted pattern of expression in normal adult tissues. The 5T4 antigen has been isolated from term placenta as a 72-kDa glycoprotein consisting of a 42-kDa core protein with extensive N-linked glycosylation. A cDNA has been isolated from a human placental library using pools of oligonucleotides based on amino acid sequence obtained from purified 5T4 molecules. The predicted open reading frame encodes a protein of 420 amino acids with a molecular mass of 46 kDa and 8 potential N-glycosylation sites. There are N- and C-terminal hydrophobic segments corresponding to putative signal and membrane anchorage sequences, respectively. Northern analysis has demonstrated a major 2.5-kilobase mRNA present in cell lines serologically reactive with the monoclonal antibody 5T4. Comparison of the 5T4 protein sequence with current sequence data bases has identified the presence of leucine-rich repeats, which are found in a variety of proteins from yeast, insects, and mammals. The 5T4 antigen expression is strongly associated with metastasis in colorectal and gastric cancer, and, hence, the possible functions of the gene product and its relationship to tumor growth and progression are discussed.
CitationIsolation of a cDNA encoding 5T4 oncofetal trophoblast glycoprotein. An antigen associated with metastasis contains leucine-rich repeats. 1994, 269 (12):9319-24 J. Biol. Chem.
JournalThe Journal of Biological Chemistry
- Organisation of the mouse and human 5T4 oncofoetal leucine-rich glycoprotein genes and expression in foetal and adult murine tissues.
- Authors: King KW, Sheppard FC, Westwater C, Stern PL, Myers KA
- Issue date: 1999 Jun 9
- A novel phospholipase A2 inhibitor with leucine-rich repeats from the blood plasma of Agkistrodon blomhoffii siniticus. Sequence homologies with human leucine-rich alpha2-glycoprotein.
- Authors: Okumura K, Ohkura N, Inoue S, Ikeda K, Hayashi K
- Issue date: 1998 Jul 31
- Metastasis-associated 5T4 oncofoetal antigen is concentrated at microvillus projections of the plasma membrane.
- Authors: Carsberg CJ, Myers KA, Evans GS, Allen TD, Stern PL
- Issue date: 1995 Aug
- Characterization of the murine 5T4 oncofoetal antigen: a target for immunotherapy in cancer.
- Authors: Woods AM, Wang WW, Shaw DM, Ward CM, Carroll MW, Rees BR, Stern PL
- Issue date: 2002 Aug 15
- Molecular cloning and expression of a cDNA encoding a protein detected by the K1 antibody from an ovarian carcinoma (OVCAR-3) cell line.
- Authors: Chang K, Pastan I
- Issue date: 1994 Apr 1