Isolation of a cDNA encoding 5T4 oncofetal trophoblast glycoprotein. An antigen associated with metastasis contains leucine-rich repeats.
AffiliationCancer Research Campaign Department of Immunology, Paterson Institute for Cancer Research, Christie Hospital, Manchester, United Kingdom.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe monoclonal antibody 5T4 defines a human oncotrophoblast antigen expressed by a variety of carcinomas but with a restricted pattern of expression in normal adult tissues. The 5T4 antigen has been isolated from term placenta as a 72-kDa glycoprotein consisting of a 42-kDa core protein with extensive N-linked glycosylation. A cDNA has been isolated from a human placental library using pools of oligonucleotides based on amino acid sequence obtained from purified 5T4 molecules. The predicted open reading frame encodes a protein of 420 amino acids with a molecular mass of 46 kDa and 8 potential N-glycosylation sites. There are N- and C-terminal hydrophobic segments corresponding to putative signal and membrane anchorage sequences, respectively. Northern analysis has demonstrated a major 2.5-kilobase mRNA present in cell lines serologically reactive with the monoclonal antibody 5T4. Comparison of the 5T4 protein sequence with current sequence data bases has identified the presence of leucine-rich repeats, which are found in a variety of proteins from yeast, insects, and mammals. The 5T4 antigen expression is strongly associated with metastasis in colorectal and gastric cancer, and, hence, the possible functions of the gene product and its relationship to tumor growth and progression are discussed.
CitationIsolation of a cDNA encoding 5T4 oncofetal trophoblast glycoprotein. An antigen associated with metastasis contains leucine-rich repeats. 1994, 269 (12):9319-24 J. Biol. Chem.
JournalThe Journal of Biological Chemistry
- Metastasis-associated 5T4 oncofoetal antigen is concentrated at microvillus projections of the plasma membrane.
- Authors: Carsberg CJ, Myers KA, Evans GS, Allen TD, Stern PL
- Issue date: 1995 Aug
- Primary structure and microtubule-interacting domain of the SP-H antigen: a mitotic MAP located at the spindle pole and characterized as a homologous protein to NuMA.
- Authors: Maekawa T, Kuriyama R
- Issue date: 1993 Jun
- Molecular cloning, expression, and chromosomal localization of a human tubulointerstitial nephritis antigen.
- Authors: Ikeda M, Takemura T, Hino S, Yoshioka K
- Issue date: 2000 Feb 5
- Molecular cloning of cDNA encoding a novel platelet-endothelial cell tetra-span antigen, PETA-3.
- Authors: Fitter S, Tetaz TJ, Berndt MC, Ashman LK
- Issue date: 1995 Aug 15
- Cloning of a rat adipocyte membrane protein implicated in binding or transport of long-chain fatty acids that is induced during preadipocyte differentiation. Homology with human CD36.
- Authors: Abumrad NA, el-Maghrabi MR, Amri EZ, Lopez E, Grimaldi PA
- Issue date: 1993 Aug 25