In vivo induction of O6-alkylguanine-DNA-alkyltransferase in response to indium-114m.
AuthorsWilson, R E
Hoyes, Katherine P
Morris, Ian D
Sharma, Harbans L
Hendry, Jolyon H
Margison, Geoffrey P
AffiliationCancer Research Campaign Department of Carcinogenesis, Paterson Institute for Cancer Research, Christie Hospital NHS Trust, Manchester, United Kingdom.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe effect of systemic administration of the radionuclide 114mIn on O6-alkylguanine-DNA-alkyltransferase (ATase) activity has been examined in rats. In response to 14.8 MBq/kg 114mIn injected intraperitoneally, hepatic ATase was induced maximally approximately fivefold at 7 days after injection, at which time the cumulative radiation dose to the liver was approximately 2 Gy. At 63 days after injection ATase activity was still approximately twofold elevated and remained so at 126 days after injection. By 200 days after injection ATase activity had returned to control values. The 114mIn content of the liver increased to a maximum of 28.7 kBq/g 48-72 h after injection, after which it began to decrease such that at 126 days only 0.3 kBq/g remained and at 200 days 0.03 kBq/g. In response to 4.44 MBq/kg 114mIn, hepatic ATase was induced twofold by 7 days after injection, when the liver had received a radiation dose of 0.6 Gy, and was still slightly elevated at 63 days. There was no ATase induction after 0.44 MBq/kg 114mIn up to 7 days after injection; however, at 42 days after injection activity was approximately twofold higher. These results suggest that induction of hepatic ATase activity by 114mIn is dependent upon cumulative radiation dose and dose rate; both must be above minimum threshold values for induction to occur. The induction of a DNA repair enzyme by radiation exposure from an internal radionuclide may have important consequences for risk assessments of occupational, medical and environmental exposures.
CitationIn vivo induction of O6-alkylguanine-DNA-alkyltransferase in response to indium-114m. 1994, 138 (1):26-33 Radiat. Res.
- Induction of rat liver O6-alkylguanine-DNA alkyltransferase following whole body X-irradiation.
- Authors: Schmerold I, Wiestler OD
- Issue date: 1986 Jan
- Ionizing radiation induces O6-alkylguanine-DNA-alkyltransferase mRNA and activity in mouse tissues.
- Authors: Wilson RE, Hoey B, Margison GP
- Issue date: 1993 Apr
- Induction of murine O6-alkylguanine-DNA-alkyltransferase in response to ionising radiation is p53 gene dose dependent.
- Authors: Rafferty JA, Clarke AR, Sellappan D, Koref MS, Frayling IM, Margison GP
- Issue date: 1996 Feb 1
- Spermatogenic and mutagenic damage after paternal exposure to systemic indium-114m.
- Authors: Hoyes KP, Sharma HL, Jackson H, Hendry JH, Morris ID
- Issue date: 1994 Aug
- Irradiation-induced expression of O6-methylguanine-DNA methyltransferase in mammalian cells.
- Authors: Chan CL, Wu Z, Eastman A, Bresnick E
- Issue date: 1992 Apr 1