Immunization of cottontop tamarins and rabbits with a candidate vaccine against the Epstein-Barr virus based on the major viral envelope glycoprotein gp340 and alum.
AffiliationDepartment of Pathology, School of Medical Sciences, University of Bristol, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe Epstein-Barr virus (EBV) is associated with a range of life-threatening diseases in humans. Development of an effective vaccine has therefore been an important objective. One problem in the development of a subunit vaccine for human administration is the selection of a satisfactory adjuvant since the only one currently licensed for human use is alum, although this is not considered to be very effective. The present study demonstrated that a subunit vaccine composed of the EBV envelope glycoprotein gp340 with alum as the adjuvant did elicit protective immunity against EBV-induced lymphoma in three out of five cottontop tamarins. Furthermore, rabbits immunized with gp340/alum developed the same range of antibody responses as rabbits immunized with gp340/SAF-1, an experimental adjuvant claimed to be more effective than alum. Therefore, these results indicate that alum should be evaluated as an adjuvant as part of a human trial of a gp340-based subunit vaccine.
CitationImmunization of cottontop tamarins and rabbits with a candidate vaccine against the Epstein-Barr virus based on the major viral envelope glycoprotein gp340 and alum. 1994, 12 (13):1180-4 Vaccine
- Protective immunization against Epstein-Barr virus-induced disease in cottontop tamarins using the virus envelope glycoprotein gp340 produced from a bovine papillomavirus expression vector.
- Authors: Finerty S, Tarlton J, Mackett M, Conway M, Arrand JR, Watkins PE, Morgan AJ
- Issue date: 1992 Feb
- Replication-defective recombinant adenovirus expressing the Epstein-Barr virus (EBV) envelope glycoprotein gp340/220 induces protective immunity against EBV-induced lymphomas in the cottontop tamarin.
- Authors: Ragot T, Finerty S, Watkins PE, Perricaudet M, Morgan AJ
- Issue date: 1993 Mar
- Comparative immunogenicity studies on Epstein-Barr virus membrane antigen (MA) gp340 with novel adjuvants in mice, rabbits, and cotton-top tamarins.
- Authors: Morgan AJ, Epstein MA, North JR
- Issue date: 1984
- Mapping of B-cell epitopes on the polypeptide chain of the Epstein-Barr virus major envelope glycoprotein and candidate vaccine molecule gp340.
- Authors: Pither RJ, Zhang CX, Shiels C, Tarlton J, Finerty S, Morgan AJ
- Issue date: 1992 Feb
- Recombinant vaccinia virus expressing Epstein-Barr virus glycoprotein gp340 protects cottontop tamarins against EB virus-induced malignant lymphomas.
- Authors: Morgan AJ, Mackett M, Finerty S, Arrand JR, Scullion FT, Epstein MA
- Issue date: 1988 Jun