Mutants of a multipotent hematopoietic cell line blocked in GM-CSF-induced differentiation are leukemogenic in vivo.
AffiliationPaterson Institute for Cancer Research, Manchester, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractFDCP-Mix cells infected with a retroviral vector expressing the GM-CSF gene (GMV-FDCP-Mix) self-renew in the presence of interleukin-3 (IL-3), are multipotent, and undergo differentiation into granulocytes and macrophages coupled with clonal extinction after removal of IL-3. Mutants of GMV-FDCP-Mix were isolated that escape clonal extinction after differentiation induction by the autocrine secreted GM-CSF. Some of these mutant clones have a blast cell morphology and are blocked in differentiation, whereas others exhibit all stages of granulocyte and macrophage differentiation without clonal extinction. In contrast to the parental GMV-FDCP-Mix cells, all the mutants tested were leukemogenic when injected into syngeneic mice. Depending on the in vitro differentiation capacity of the transplanted mutant cell lines, the animals developed undifferentiated blast cell leukemias or CML-like syndromes. Thus, these mutant cell lines can be used to define the cooperating steps in autocrine myeloid leukemia.
CitationMutants of a multipotent hematopoietic cell line blocked in GM-CSF-induced differentiation are leukemogenic in vivo. 1994, 22 (9):933-40 Exp. Hematol.
- Transcriptional regulation of the c-fms proto-oncogene mediated by granulocyte/macrophage colony-stimulating factor (GM-CSF) in murine cell lines.
- Authors: Helftenbein G, Krusekopf K, Just U, Cross M, Ostertag W, Niemann H, Tamura T
- Issue date: 1996 Feb 15
- In vitro induction of inhibitory macrophage differentiation by granulocyte-macrophage colony-stimulating factor, stem cell factor and interferon-gamma from lineage phenotypes-negative c-kit-positive murine hematopoietic progenitor cells.
- Authors: Ferret-Bernard S, Saï P, Bach JM
- Issue date: 2004 Feb 15
- Interleukin-3 followed by GM-CSF for delayed engraftment after autologous bone marrow transplantation.
- Authors: Crump M, Couture F, Kovacs M, Saragosa R, McCrae J, Brandwein J, Huebsch L, Beauregard-Zollinger L, Keating A
- Issue date: 1993 Mar
- Autocrine and paracrine effects of an ES-cell derived, BCR/ABL-transformed hematopoietic cell line that induces leukemia in mice.
- Authors: Peters DG, Klucher KM, Perlingeiro RC, Dessain SK, Koh EY, Daley GQ
- Issue date: 2001 May 10
- Induction of growth factor-independence and GM-CSF secretion by the v-src oncogene in murine myeloid cells does not require membrane association of pp60v-src.
- Authors: Ostermeyer AG, Anderson SM
- Issue date: 1996 Feb