Naloxone interferes with granulocytopoiesis in long-term cultures of mouse bone marrow; buffering by the stromal layer.
AffiliationRuder Bosković Institute, Zagreb, Croatia.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractLong-term cultures of mouse bone marrow cells were treated with naloxone, starting at the time of culture initiation or in the 2nd or 4th week of culture. Cell proliferation was suppressed and the ratio of immature and mature granulocytes to macrophages diminished by naloxone treatment. The effect depended on the timing of naloxone addition to the cultures and on its concentration, with a bell-shaped dose-response curve. High and low concentrations of naloxone (10(-4), 10(-6), 10(-14) M) interfered with hematopoiesis more strongly than the intermediate concentrations (10(-8) to 10(-12) M). Early cultures lacking the stromal layer were more sensitive to naloxone than the cultures with established stroma. The bell-shaped dose-response curve has been attributed to an interplay of specific (opioid-receptor-mediated) and nonspecific mechanisms. Opioidergic mechanisms apparently participate in the regulation of hematopoiesis.
CitationNaloxone interferes with granulocytopoiesis in long-term cultures of mouse bone marrow; buffering by the stromal layer. 1994, 194 (6):375-82 Res Exp Med (Berl)
JournalResearch in Experimental Medicine
- The effect of hydrocortisone on the production and differentiation of granulocyte/macrophage progenitor cells in long-term bone marrow cultures.
- Authors: Motomura S, Katsuno M, Kaneko S, Ibayashi H
- Issue date: 1983 Jan
- The effect of mouse lung granulocyte-macrophage colony-stimulating factor and other colony-stimulating activities on the proliferation and differentiation of murine bone marrow cells in long-term cultures.
- Authors: Williams N, Burgess AW
- Issue date: 1980 Mar
- Naloxone behaves as opioid agonist/antagonist in clonal cultures of mouse bone marrow cells.
- Authors: Krizanac-Bengez L, Boranić M, Testa NG
- Issue date: 1995
- Self-renewal and differentiation of a novel bipotent myeloid progenitor clone in the stroma-dependent culture.
- Authors: Okubo T, Yanai N, Obinata M
- Issue date: 2000 Jun
- Hematopoiesis in the presence of macrophages in long-term bone marrow cultures.
- Authors: Goliaei B, Soheili Z, Behboodi A, Samiei S
- Issue date: 1995 Sep