O6-alkylguanine-DNA alkyltransferase activity in schistosomiasis-associated human bladder cancer.
AuthorsBadawi, A F
Cooper, Donald P
Mostafa, M H
Barnard, R J
Margison, Geoffrey P
O'Connor, Peter J
AffiliationNational Center for Toxicology, Jefferson, Arkansas.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractO6-Alkylguanine-DNA-alkyltransferase (ATase) activity was measured in extracts of 55 bladder tissue samples (46 tumour and nine uninvolved mucosal tissue) from Egyptian patients with schistosome-associated bladder carcinoma. Activity varied from 2.0 to 16.2 fmole ATase/microgram DNA (mean +/- S.D.; 5.6 +/- 4.0) or from 28 to 351 fmole ATase/mg (117 +/- 71). ATase levels in schistosome-associated bladder cancer tissues (5.6 +/- 4.0 fmole ATase/microgram DNA) tended to be lower than those observed in normal human bladder mucosal tissue (8.5 +/- 4.4 fmole ATase/microgram DNA). In a previous study (Badawi et al., Carcinogenesis, 1992, 13, 877-881) DNA-alkylation damage (O6-methyldeoxyguanosine) was found in 44/46 of these schistosome-associated bladder cancer samples at levels ranging from 0.012 to 0.485 mumole O6-MedG/mole deoxyguanosine. We now report an inverse correlation between the levels of methylation damage and ATase activity (r = -0.67; P < 0.001). These observations encourage further investigations of the possible role of environmental alkylating agents in the aetiology of early bladder cancer associated with schistosomiasis.
CitationO6-alkylguanine-DNA alkyltransferase activity in schistosomiasis-associated human bladder cancer. 1994, 30A (9):1314-9 Eur. J. Cancer
JournalEuropean Journal of Cancer
- Promutagenic methylation damage in bladder DNA from patients with bladder cancer associated with schistosomiasis and from normal individuals.
- Authors: Badawi AF, Mostafa MH, Aboul-Azm T, Haboubi NY, O'Connor PJ, Cooper DP
- Issue date: 1992 May
- Host determinants of DNA alkylation and DNA repair activity in human colorectal tissue: O(6)-methylguanine levels are associated with GSTT1 genotype and O(6)-alkylguanine-DNA alkyltransferase activity with CYP2D6 genotype.
- Authors: Povey AC, Hall CN, Badawi AF, Cooper DP, Guppy MJ, Jackson PE, O'Connor PJ, Margison GP
- Issue date: 2001 Aug 22
- Development and validation of a new assay for O6-alkylguanine-DNA-alkyltransferase based on the use of an oligonucleotide substrate, and its application to the measurement of DNA repair activity in extracts of biopsy samples of human urinary bladder mucosa.
- Authors: Souliotis VL, Giannopoulos A, Koufakis I, Kaila S, Dimopoulos C, Kyrtopoulos SA
- Issue date: 1989 Jul
- O-6-alkylguanine-DNA alkyltransferase activity in tissues of mice treated with antischistosomal agents.
- Authors: Badawi A
- Issue date: 1994 Sep
- Relationships between the formation of O6-methyldeoxyguanosine by 1-p-carboxyl-3,3-dimethylphenyltriazene in DNA and O6-alkylguanine-DNA alkyltransferase in human peripheral leukocytes.
- Authors: Lee SM, O'Connor PJ, Thatcher N, Crowther D, Margison GP, Cooper DP
- Issue date: 1994 Aug 1