The karyotype of Alligator mississippiensis, and chromosomal mapping of the ZFY/X homologue, Zfc.
AffiliationSchool of Biological Sciences, University of Manchester, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractComparative mapping studies of X-linked genes in mammals have provided insights into the evolution of the X chromosome. Many reptiles including the American alligator, Alligator mississippiensis, do not appear to possess heteromorphic sex chromosomes, and sex is determined by the incubation temperature of the egg during embryonic development. Mapping of homologues of mammalian X-linked genes in reptiles could lead to a greater understanding of the evolution of vertebrate sex chromosomes. One of the genes used in the mammalian mapping studies was ZFX, an X-linked copy of the human ZFY gene which was originally isolated as a candidate for the mammalian testis-determining factor (TDF). ZFX is X-linked in eutherians, but maps to two autosomal locations in marsupials and monotremes, close to other genes associated with the eutherian X. The alligator homologue of the ZFY/ZFX genes, Zfc, has been isolated and described previously. A detailed karyotype of A. mississippiensis is presented, together with chromosomal in situ hybridisation data localising the Zfc gene to chromosome 3. Further chromosomal mapping studies using eutherian X-linked genes may reveal conserved chromosomal regions in the alligator that have become part of the eutherian X chromosome during evolution.
CitationThe karyotype of Alligator mississippiensis, and chromosomal mapping of the ZFY/X homologue, Zfc. 1994, 103 (7):502-7 Chromosoma
- Cloning and expression analysis of two ZFY-related zinc finger genes from Alligator mississippiensis, a species with temperature-dependent sex determination.
- Authors: Valleley EM, Müller U, Ferguson MW, Sharpe PT
- Issue date: 1992 Oct 1
- Isolation and chromosomal localization of ZFX homologue in genome of rice field eel (Monopterus albus Zuiew).
- Authors: Ji FY, Yu QX, Zheng CY
- Issue date: 2004 Aug
- Sequences homologous to ZFY, a candidate human sex-determining gene, are autosomal in marsupials.
- Authors: Sinclair AH, Foster JW, Spencer JA, Page DC, Palmer M, Goodfellow PN, Graves JA
- Issue date: 1988 Dec 22-29
- Genome evolution in Reptilia: in silico chicken mapping of 12,000 BAC-end sequences from two reptiles and a basal bird.
- Authors: Chapus C, Edwards SV
- Issue date: 2009 Jul 14
- Genetic evidence that ZFY is not the testis-determining factor.
- Authors: Palmer MS, Sinclair AH, Berta P, Ellis NA, Goodfellow PN, Abbas NE, Fellous M
- Issue date: 1989 Dec 21-28