Expression of lineage restricted transcription factors precedes lineage specific differentiation in a multipotent haemopoietic progenitor cell line.
AffiliationCRC Department of Experimental Haematology, Paterson Institute for Cancer Research, Christie Hospital NHS Trust, Manchester, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractLineage commitment and differentiation are likely to be coordinated by the combined effects of multiple transcription factors acting on numerous different target genes. The mechanisms by which lineage-restricted patterns of transcription factor expression are established are therefore of particular relevance to our understanding of the role of transcription factors both in normal development and in oncogenesis. Here, we report that the genes for the lineage-restricted transcription factors SCL, GATA-1 and GATA-2 are expressed in all multipotent, IL-3-dependent, haemopoietic progenitor cell lines tested. Moreover, a liquid differentiation assay has been used to demonstrate down regulation of SCL, GATA-1, GATA-2 and PU-1 during differentiation into non-expressing lineages. These data support the concept that multiple lineage-restricted transcription factors are expressed prior to lineage commitment.
CitationExpression of lineage restricted transcription factors precedes lineage specific differentiation in a multipotent haemopoietic progenitor cell line. 1994, 9 (10):3013-6 Oncogene
- Regulation of lineage restricted haemopoietic transcription factors in cell hybrids.
- Authors: Murrell AM, Green AR
- Issue date: 1995 Feb 16
- SCL expression at critical points in human hematopoietic lineage commitment.
- Authors: Zhang Y, Payne KJ, Zhu Y, Price MA, Parrish YK, Zielinska E, Barsky LW, Crooks GM
- Issue date: 2005 Jun-Jul
- Hematopoietic-specific genes are not induced during in vitro differentiation of scl-null embryonic stem cells.
- Authors: Elefanty AG, Robb L, Birner R, Begley CG
- Issue date: 1997 Aug 15
- Expression of the LIM-homeobox gene LH2 generates immortalized steel factor-dependent multipotent hematopoietic precursors.
- Authors: Pinto do O P, Kolterud A, Carlsson L
- Issue date: 1998 Oct 1
- How do stem cells decide what to do?
- Authors: Cross MA, Heyworth CM, Dexter TM
- Issue date: 1997