Preparation of isolated nuclei from K 562 haemopoietic cell line for high resolution scanning electron microscopy.
AffiliationCRC Department of Structural Cell Biology, Paterson Institute for Cancer Research, Christie Hospital NHS Trust, Manchester, United Kingdom.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe aim of the work is to visualise nuclear pore complexes (NPCs) in mammalian cells by high resolution scanning electron microscopy. A detergent-free isolation protocol was employed to obtain clean nuclei from the haemopoietic cell line K 562. Nuclear isolation was performed by mechanical homogenisation under hypotonic conditions followed by purification of the nuclear fraction. The isolated nuclei were attached to silicon chips, fixed, critical point dried, and sputter coated with a thin film (3-4 nm) of tantalum. Analysis of the nuclear surface by scanning electron microscopy (SEM) revealed a strong sensitivity of the outer nuclear membrane (ONM) to disruption during the isolation procedure. A significant reduction of the characteristic pattern of damage to the ONM was achieved by means of an isopicnic centrifugation on an isoosmolar balanced Percoll gradient. Analysis of the population of isolated nuclei by flow cytometry showed no signs of cell cycle specific losses of nuclei during isolation. The SEM investigations of the morphology of the nuclear envelope (NE) and of substructural details of NPCs and polyribosomes were performed using an in-lens field emission scanning electron microscope.
CitationPreparation of isolated nuclei from K 562 haemopoietic cell line for high resolution scanning electron microscopy. 1994, 29 (1):54-61 Microsc. Res. Tech.
JournalMicroscopy Research and Technique
- A protocol for isolation and visualization of yeast nuclei by scanning electron microscopy (SEM).
- Authors: Kiseleva E, Allen TD, Rutherford SA, Murray S, Morozova K, Gardiner F, Goldberg MW, Drummond SP
- Issue date: 2007
- Visualization of the nucleus and nuclear envelope in situ by SEM in tissue culture cells.
- Authors: Allen TD, Rutherford SA, Murray S, Gardiner F, Kiseleva E, Goldberg MW, Drummond SP
- Issue date: 2007
- A protocol for isolation and visualization of yeast nuclei by scanning electron microscopy.
- Authors: Murray S, Kiseleva E
- Issue date: 2008
- Accessing nuclear structure for field emission, in lens, scanning electron microscopy (FEISEM).
- Authors: Allen TD, Bennion GR, Rutherford SA, Reipert S, Ramalho A, Kiseleva E, Goldberg MW
- Issue date: 1996
- [Electron microscope characteristics of the nuclear matrix and its fractions].
- Authors: Troitskaia LP, Kuz'mina SN, Bul'diaeva TV, Zbaraskiĭ IB
- Issue date: 1981 Jun