Clinical significance of the tumour capsule in the treatment of parotid pleomorphic adenomas.
AffiliationDepartment of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, UMDS, Guy's Hospital, London, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe propensity of pleomorphic adenomas to recur is generally attributed to the biological nature of the tumour, and surgery close to the capsule is perceived as undesirable. At the Christie Hospital, Manchester, between 1947 and 1992, 475 tumours arising within the superficial portion of the parotid gland were treated by two surgical techniques: extracapsular dissection (380 patients) and superficial parotidectomy (95). Recurrence rates were 2 per cent in each group (median follow-up 12.5 years). Contact of the tumour with the facial nerve was recorded in 51 per cent of patients. There was no difference between the treatment groups in the incidence of permanent facial nerve injury (2 versus 1 per cent respectively). This study demonstrates that dissection in close proximity to the tumour is possible without inducing recurrence and that in practice the microinvasion of the capsule by tumour buds has limited clinical significance.
CitationClinical significance of the tumour capsule in the treatment of parotid pleomorphic adenomas. 1996, 83 (12):1747-9 Br J Surg
JournalThe British Journal of surgery
- Tumour recurrence after surgical removal of parotid pleomorphic salivary adenoma using a retrograde facial nerve dissection technique.
- Authors: O'Regan B, Bharadwaj G
- Issue date: 2012 Jul
- Partial superficial parotidectomy as the method of choice for treating pleomorphic adenomas of the parotid gland.
- Authors: Papadogeorgakis N
- Issue date: 2011 Sep
- Pleomorphic adenoma of the parotid: formal parotidectomy or limited surgery?
- Authors: Zbären P, Vander Poorten V, Witt RL, Woolgar JA, Shaha AR, Triantafyllou A, Takes RP, Rinaldo A, Ferlito A
- Issue date: 2013 Jan
- Surgical management of benign tumors of the parotid gland: extracapsular dissection versus superficial parotidectomy--our experience in 232 cases.
- Authors: Dell'Aversana Orabona G, Bonavolontà P, Iaconetta G, Forte R, Califano L
- Issue date: 2013 Feb
- Pleomorphic adenoma of the parotid: extracapsular dissection compared with superficial parotidectomy--a 10-year retrospective cohort study.
- Authors: Cristofaro MG, Allegra E, Giudice A, Colangeli W, Caruso D, Barca I, Giudice M
- Issue date: 2014