Prognostic factors for breast recurrence after conservative breast surgery and radiotherapy: results from a randomised trial.
AffiliationChristie Hospital, Manchester, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractPrognostic factors predicting for breast recurrence following breast conserving surgery and radiotherapy have been identified in a prospective randomised trial comparing two different radiotherapy techniques. The first used megavoltage radiation to encompass the whole breast and regional nodes (WF group). The second used an electron field directed to the tumour bed only (LF group). With a median follow up of 8 years survival in both groups was the same (72%). There was an increased rate of breast recurrence in the LF group: 25%, compared to the WF group: 13% (P = 0.00008), expressed in actuarial terms at 8 years. In a multivariate analysis of factors predicting for breast recurrence, once the difference in treatment technique is allowed for, only two factors were found to be significant: histological grade (P = 0.013) and lymphovascular invasion in the histological specimen (P = 0.037).
CitationPrognostic factors for breast recurrence after conservative breast surgery and radiotherapy: results from a randomised trial. 1996, 39 (3):223-7 Radiother Oncol
JournalRadiotherapy and Oncology
- [Local relapse in young (< or = 40 years) women with breast cancer after mastectomy or breast conserving surgery: 15-year results].
- Authors: Fodor J, Mózsa E, Zaka Z, Polgár C, Major T
- Issue date: 2005
- Locoregional recurrence of breast cancer following mastectomy: always a fatal event? Results of univariate and multivariate analysis.
- Authors: Willner J, Kiricuta IC, Kölbl O
- Issue date: 1997 Mar 1
- Randomized clinical trial of breast irradiation following lumpectomy and axillary dissection for node-negative breast cancer: an update. Ontario Clinical Oncology Group.
- Authors: Clark RM, Whelan T, Levine M, Roberts R, Willan A, McCulloch P, Lipa M, Wilkinson RH, Mahoney LJ
- Issue date: 1996 Nov 20
- Prognostic significance of local recurrence in breast cancer after postmastectomy radiotherapy.
- Authors: Dunst J, Steil B, Furch S, Fach A, Lautenschläger C, Diestelhorst A, Lampe D, Kölbl H, Richter C
- Issue date: 2001 Oct
- Local recurrences and distant metastases after breast-conserving surgery and radiation therapy for early breast cancer.
- Authors: Touboul E, Buffat L, Belkacémi Y, Lefranc JP, Uzan S, Lhuillier P, Faivre C, Huart J, Lotz JP, Antoine M, Pène F, Blondon J, Izrael V, Laugier A, Schlienger M, Housset M
- Issue date: 1999 Jan 1