Quality and quality assurance in the health care setting: an equitable life?
AuthorsTimpson, Joanne R
AffiliationManchester College of Midwifery and Nursing Stanley House, Christie Hospital, Wilmslow Road, Withington, Manchester M20 4BX, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractResearch studies alluding to quality and quality assurance within the health care arena are increasingly utilized to justify management initiatives, particularly in relation to the provision and resourcing of patient services, both within the institutional and community setting. The following paper considers the role and utility of quality indicators and presents a critical analysis of the literature pertaining to the concept of quality as it applies to the provision and organization of health care and the relationship between quality assurance and patient satisfaction per se. The paper concludes with a dual challenge not only to nurses to better understand and articulate the specific contribution of the discipline, particularly in relation to positive patient outcomes, but also to current, narrow focused interpretations of quality assurance and calls for definitions of quality to reflect an appreciation of the particular involvement and role of the patient in determining policy affecting care provision.
CitationQuality and quality assurance in the health care setting: an equitable life? 1996, 4 (1):19-25 J Nurs Manag
JournalJournal of Nursing Management
- The management of quality assurance in nursing.
- Authors: Weston D, Bruster S, Lorentzon M, Bosanquet N
- Issue date: 1995 Sep
- Leadership: the key to quality outcomes.
- Authors: Perra BM
- Issue date: 2000 Winter
- Seven steps to shift from tasks to outcomes.
- Authors: Hansten R, Washburn M
- Issue date: 1999 Jul
- Soar to excellence with rapid feedback and rapid response.
- Authors: Howland-Gradman J, Broderick S
- Issue date: 2002 Feb
- Building the capacity for evidence-based clinical nursing leadership: the role of executive co-coaching and group clinical supervision for quality patient services.
- Authors: Alleyne J, Jumaa MO
- Issue date: 2007 Mar