Long-term follow-up of over 1000 patients with salivary gland tumours treated in a single centre.
AffiliationUniversity Department of Surgery, University Hospital of South Manchester, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractBetween 1947 and 1992, 1403 patients with 1432 salivary gland tumours were treated at the Christie Hospital, Manchester. There were 1194 epithelial neoplasms: parotid, 1082 (91 per cent); submandibular, 47 (4 per cent); minor glands, 65 (5 per cent). The commonest histological diagnoses were pleomorphic adenoma (n = 776) and adenolymphoma (n = 159). A total of 244 carcinomas were seen (adenoid cystic carcinoma, n = 75). Treatment was primarily surgical, conservative where possible, and determined by tumour extent and not histology. Adjuvant radiation therapy was used in over half the definitively treated malignancies. The recurrence rate following the treatment of 551 new parotid pleomorphic adenomas was 1.6 per cent at median follow-up 12.5 (range 1-34) years, increasing to 15 per cent in the secondarily referred group (n = 170). For patients with definitively treated primary salivary carcinomas (n = 148), the disease-free survival rate at 5, 10 and 15 years was 58, 47 and 45 per cent respectively. Using multivariate analysis, clinical stage was the most important predictor of survival; the 10-year survival rate for stages I-IV was 96, 70, 47 and 19 per cent respectively.
CitationLong-term follow-up of over 1000 patients with salivary gland tumours treated in a single centre. 1996, 83 (12):1750-4 Br J Surg
JournalThe British Journal of Surgery
- [Malignancy of tumors of the minor salivary glands].
- Authors: Eckel HE, Schröder U, Volling P, Stennert E
- Issue date: 1994 Sep
- Salivary gland tumours treated in the stomatological clinics in Bratislava.
- Authors: Satko I, Stanko P, Longauerová I
- Issue date: 2000 Feb
- Salivary gland tumours in Tanzania.
- Authors: Masanja MI, Kalyanyama BM, Simon EN
- Issue date: 2003 Aug
- Salivary glands.
- Authors: Saunders JR Jr, Hirata RM, Jaques DA
- Issue date: 1986 Feb
- Salivary tumours--experience over thirty years.
- Authors: Gleave EN, Whittaker JS, Nicholson A
- Issue date: 1979 Aug