Malignant peripheral nerve sheath tumour with vascular differentiation: a report of four cases.
AuthorsMorphopoulos, G D
Banerjee, Saumitra S
Ali, H H
Vasudev, K S
Eyden, Brian P
AffiliationDepartment of Histopathology, Christie Hospital NHS Trust, Manchester, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractFour cases of malignant peripheral nerve sheath tumour showing vascular differentiation are described. One case was associated with neurofibromatosis 1 and contained angiosarcomatous, cartilaginous and rhabdomyoblastic elements. The other cases occurred in patients without neurofibromatosis and showed a spectrum of vascular lesions ranging from lobulated, haemangioma-like structures to angiosarcoma. These are the first recorded examples of this phenomenon not associated with neurofibromatosis. Immunohistochemical examination demonstrated the endothelial nature of the lesions in all cases and revealed cells positive for alpha-smooth muscle actin, probably pericytes, closely apposed to the endothelium.
CitationMalignant peripheral nerve sheath tumour with vascular differentiation: a report of four cases. 1996, 28 (5):401-10 Histopathology
- Intraneural angiosarcoma and angiosarcoma arising in benign and malignant peripheral nerve sheath tumours: clinicopathological and immunohistochemical analysis of four cases.
- Authors: Mentzel T, Katenkamp D
- Issue date: 1999 Aug
- Malignant peripheral nerve tumors: a clinicopathological and electron microscopic study.
- Authors: Arpornchayanon O, Hirota T, Itabashi M, Nakajima T, Fukuma H, Beppu Y, Nishikawa K
- Issue date: 1984 Mar
- Malignant peripheral nerve sheath tumors with divergent differentiation.
- Authors: Ducatman BS, Scheithauer BW
- Issue date: 1984 Sep 15
- Schwannoma (neurilemoma) with malignant transformation. A rare, distinctive peripheral nerve tumor.
- Authors: Woodruff JM, Selig AM, Crowley K, Allen PW
- Issue date: 1994 Sep
- Expanding the spectrum of malignant change in schwannomas: epithelioid malignant change, epithelioid malignant peripheral nerve sheath tumor, and epithelioid angiosarcoma: a study of 17 cases.
- Authors: McMenamin ME, Fletcher CD
- Issue date: 2001 Jan