Gonadal function following chemotherapy for childhood Hodgkin's disease.
AffiliationDepartment of Paediatric Oncology, The Christie Hospital, NHS Trust, Manchester, United Kingdom.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractGonadal function was assessed in 101 postpubertal subjects after chemotherapy for childhood Hodgkin's disease. All had received ChlVPP (chlorambucil, vinblastine, procarbazine, and prednisolone) chemotherapy alone, with no radiotherapy below the diaphragm. Gonadotropin levels were available in 46 (79.3%) male and 32 (74.4%) female subjects. The mean age at diagnosis in the male cohort was 12.2 years (range 8.2-15.3) and in the females 13.0 years (9.0-15.2). The males and the females were studied at a median of 6 years (range 2.5-11.1) and 4.3 years (range 1.9-11.5) from diagnosis, respectively. Forty-one (89.1%) male subjects had elevated follicle-stimulating hormone (FSH) levels, confirming severe germinal epithelial damage. Germinal epithelial damage was seen in subjects up to 10 years out of therapy. Subtle Leydig cell dysfunction was identified in 24.4% with raised luteinzing hormone (LH) levels. All subjects, however, progressed spontaneously through puberty. Seventeen (53%) women had raised gonadotropin levels, with variable estradiol levels. Of these, 10 subjects presented with symptomatic ovarian failure and 6 received hormone replacement therapy (HRT). Nine women had 11 successful pregnancies, two of whom had previously had symptoms of ovarian failure with one requiring HRT. A much higher prevalence of ovarian failure has been observed, than has previously been considered in the prepubertal and pubertal female following combination chemotherapy. These conclusions have important implications for future counseling, management, and research in this population.
CitationGonadal function following chemotherapy for childhood Hodgkin's disease. 1996, 27 (2):74-8 Med. Pediatr. Oncol.
JournalMedical and Pediatric Oncology
- Testicular function following the treatment of Hodgkin's disease in childhood.
- Authors: Shafford EA, Kingston JE, Malpas JS, Plowman PN, Pritchard J, Savage MO, Eden OB
- Issue date: 1993 Dec
- Gonadal function in young patients successfully treated for Hodgkin disease.
- Authors: Papadakis V, Vlachopapadopoulou E, Van Syckle K, Ganshaw L, Kalmanti M, Tan C, Sklar C
- Issue date: 1999 May
- [Changes in gonadal function in post-pubertal male survivors of acute lymphoblastic leukemia and Hodgkin's disease].
- Authors: Soriano Guillén L, Muñoz Calvo MT, Pozo Román J, Contra Gómez T, Buño Soto M, Argente Oliver J
- Issue date: 2000 Oct
- Gonadal function following chemotherapy for Hodgkin's disease: a comparative study of MVPP and a seven-drug hybrid regimen.
- Authors: Clark ST, Radford JA, Crowther D, Swindell R, Shalet SM
- Issue date: 1995 Jan
- The effect of combination chemotherapy on ovarian function in women treated for Hodgkin's disease.
- Authors: Whitehead E, Shalet SM, Blackledge G, Todd I, Crowther D, Beardwell CG
- Issue date: 1983 Sep 15