Increased serum lipoprotein(a) concentrations after growth hormone (GH) treatment in patients with isolated GH deficiency.
AffiliationDepartment of Endocrinology, Christie Hospital NHS Trust, Manchester, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractFourteen post-pubertal subjects (11 male, 3 female) with isolated growth hormone (GH) deficiency were treated with a low dose (0.125 U/kg for the first 4 weeks and thereafter 0.25 U/kg/week) daily sc GH injection for 1 year. Fasting blood samples were collected at entry into the study and subsequently at 3 monthly intervals for estimation of serum cholesterol, high-density lipoprotein-cholesterol, low-density lipoprotein-cholesterol and lipoprotein(a) [Lp(a)]. Serum Lp(a) increased progressively during the treatment period (by analysis of variance) and was 41% higher at 12 months (P < 0.02) despite the fact that five patients showed little or no change. There was no significant change in any of the other lipid fractions. These observations are of concern as Lp(a) is an independent risk factor for cardiovascular disease and should introduce a cautionary note into the enthusiastic efforts to offer GH replacement to all GH deficient adults.
CitationIncreased serum lipoprotein(a) concentrations after growth hormone (GH) treatment in patients with isolated GH deficiency. 1996, 33 ( Pt 4):330-4 Ann. Clin. Biochem.
JournalAnnals of Clinical Biochemistry
- Serum homocysteine concentrations in children with growth hormone (GH) deficiency before and after 12 months GH replacement.
- Authors: Esposito V, Di Biase S, Lettiero T, Labella D, Simeone R, Salerno M
- Issue date: 2004 Nov
- Improved cardiovascular risk factors and cardiac performance after 12 months of growth hormone (GH) replacement in young adult patients with GH deficiency.
- Authors: Colao A, di Somma C, Cuocolo A, Spinelli L, Tedesco N, Pivonello R, Bonaduce D, Salvatore M, Lombardi G
- Issue date: 2001 May
- Recombinant growth hormone (GH) therapy in GH-deficient adults: a long-term controlled study on daily versus thrice weekly injections.
- Authors: Amato G, Mazziotti G, Di Somma C, Lalli E, De Felice G, Conte M, Rotondi M, Pietrosante M, Lombardi G, Bellastella A, Carella C, Colao A
- Issue date: 2000 Oct
- Increased bone density after recombinant human growth hormone (GH) therapy in adults with isolated GH deficiency.
- Authors: O'Halloran DJ, Tsatsoulis A, Whitehouse RW, Holmes SJ, Adams JE, Shalet SM
- Issue date: 1993 May
- The effects of GH replacement therapy on cardiac morphology and function, exercise capacity and serum lipids in elderly patients with GH deficiency.
- Authors: Elgzyri T, Castenfors J, Hägg E, Backman C, Thorén M, Bramnert M
- Issue date: 2004 Jul