AffiliationDepartment of Pathology, Christie Hospital NHS Trust, Manchester, United Kingdom.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe histological, immunohistochemical, and ultrastructural features of a primary small cell neuroendocrine carcinoma of the renal parenchyma are described. Tumor cells were positive for cytokeratin, neuron-specific enolase, and Leu 7, but Grimelius- and chromogranin-negative. They also exhibited positivity with anti-MIC2 antibody. By electron microscopy, tonofibrils, primitive desmosomes, and dense-core granules with a neuroendocrine appearance were present. This is only the 7th recorded example of such a tumor at this site, which showed an aggressive course characterized by widespread bony metastases.
CitationPrimary small cell neuroendocrine carcinoma of the kidney., 20 (2):141-4 Ultrastruct Pathol
- Combined small-cell and transitional cell carcinoma of the renal pelvis. A light microscopic, immunohistochemical, and ultrastructural study of a case with literature review.
- Authors: Guillou L, Duvoisin B, Chobaz C, Chapuis G, Costa J
- Issue date: 1993 Mar
- Small cell neuroendocrine carcinoma of the ovary.
- Authors: Fukunaga M, Endo Y, Miyazawa Y, Ushigome S
- Issue date: 1997 Apr
- Low-grade tubular-mucinous renal neoplasm with neuroendocrine differentiation: a histological, immunohistochemical and ultrastructural study.
- Authors: Kuroda N, Nakamura S, Miyazaki E, Hayashi Y, Taguchi T, Hiroi M, Yamasaki Y, Shuin T, Enzan H
- Issue date: 2004 Mar
- Primary small cell neuroendocrine carcinoma of the kidney: morphological, immunohistochemical, ultrastructural, and cytogenetic study of a case and review of the literature.
- Authors: La Rosa S, Bernasconi B, Micello D, Finzi G, Capella C
- Issue date: 2009 Spring
- [Primary metastatic renal metastatic carcinoid tumor in a young male patient: a contribution to the differential diagnosis of neuroendocrine tumors].
- Authors: Gross ML, Berger I
- Issue date: 2007 Jul