Immunisation of common marmosets with vaccinia virus expressing Epstein-Barr virus (EBV) gp340 and challenge with EBV.
AffiliationDepartment of Molecular Biology, Paterson Institute for Cancer Research, Christie Hospital NHS Trust, Withington, Manchester, England.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractEpstein-Barr virus (EBV) is the cause of infectious mononucleosis and is associated with a variety of life-threatening diseases in humans. Therefore the development of an effective vaccine is an important objective. Many of the initial studies of vaccine efficacy analyse the ability of vaccine preparations to prevent the induction of lymphomas in cottontop tamarins by the B95-8 strain of EBV. We used a vaccinia virus recombinant expressing gp340, vMA1, tested previously in the cotton-top tamarin, to evaluate a common marmoset model in which the challenge virus, M81, resembles more closely the wild-type strains of EBV in the general population than does the standard B95-8 strain. We characterised the M81 strain of EBV with respect to the sequence of its gp340/220 gene and in regard to the presence of a region deleted in B95-8. Replication of the challenge virus in the group vaccinated with vMA1 was decreased when compared to control groups.
CitationImmunisation of common marmosets with vaccinia virus expressing Epstein-Barr virus (EBV) gp340 and challenge with EBV. 1996, 50 (3):263-71 J. Med. Virol.
JournalJournal of Medical Virology
- Immunization of common marmosets with Epstein-Barr virus (EBV) envelope glycoprotein gp340: effect on viral shedding following EBV challenge.
- Authors: Cox C, Naylor BA, Mackett M, Arrand JR, Griffin BE, Wedderburn N
- Issue date: 1998 Aug
- The Epstein-Barr virus candidate vaccine antigen gp340/220 is highly conserved between virus types A and B.
- Authors: Lees JF, Arrand JE, Pepper SD, Stewart JP, Mackett M, Arrand JR
- Issue date: 1993 Aug
- Protective immunization against Epstein-Barr virus-induced disease in cottontop tamarins using the virus envelope glycoprotein gp340 produced from a bovine papillomavirus expression vector.
- Authors: Finerty S, Tarlton J, Mackett M, Conway M, Arrand JR, Watkins PE, Morgan AJ
- Issue date: 1992 Feb
- Recombinant vaccinia virus expressing Epstein-Barr virus glycoprotein gp340 protects cottontop tamarins against EB virus-induced malignant lymphomas.
- Authors: Morgan AJ, Mackett M, Finerty S, Arrand JR, Scullion FT, Epstein MA
- Issue date: 1988 Jun
- First EBV vaccine trial in humans using recombinant vaccinia virus expressing the major membrane antigen.
- Authors: Gu SY, Huang TM, Ruan L, Miao YH, Lu H, Chu CM, Motz M, Wolf H
- Issue date: 1995