Identification and characterization of murine gammaherpesvirus 68 gp150: a virion membrane glycoprotein.
AuthorsStewart, J P
Janjua, N J
Pepper, Stuart D
Allen, Terence D
Nash, A A
Arrand, John R
AffiliationDepartment of Veterinary Pathology, The University of Edinburgh, United Kingdom.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractMurine gammaherpesvirus 68 (MHV-68) is a naturally occurring virus of murid rodents which displays pathobiological characteristics similar to those of other gammaherpesviruses, including Epstein-Barr virus (EBV). However, unlike EBV and many other gammaherpesviruses, MHV-68 replicates in epithelial cells in vitro and infects laboratory strains of mice and therefore provides a good model for the study of gammaherpesviruses. Studies of sequences around the center of the MHV-68 genome identified a gene (designated BPRF1 for BamHI P fragment rightward open reading frame 1) whose putative product had motifs reminiscent of a transmembrane glycoprotein. All other gammaherpesviruses have a glycoprotein in this genomic position, but the BPRF1 gene showed sequence homology with only the EBV membrane antigen gp340/220. Biochemical analysis showed that the product of BPRF1 was a glycoprotein present on the surface of infected cells, and immunoelectron microscopy showed that it was present in the virus particle. In addition, antibodies to the BPRF1 product raised by using a bacterial fusion protein neutralized the virus in the absence of complement. The predominant molecular weights of the protein were 150,000 and 130,000. Pulse-chase analysis and endoglycosidase-H digestion showed that the 130,000-molecular-weight form was a precursor of the 150,000-molecular-weight form, and cell surface labelling showed that the 150,000-molecular-weight form alone was on the cell surface. We therefore named the protein gp150. Since gp150 is the first virion-associated glycoprotein and neutralizing determinant of MHV-68 to be characterized, it provides a valuable tool for the future study of virus-host interactions.
CitationIdentification and characterization of murine gammaherpesvirus 68 gp150: a virion membrane glycoprotein. 1996, 70 (6):3528-35 J. Virol.
JournalJournal of Virology
- Characterization of murine gammaherpesvirus 68 glycoprotein B (gB) homolog: similarity to Epstein-Barr virus gB (gp110).
- Authors: Stewart JP, Janjua NJ, Sunil-Chandra NP, Nash AA, Arrand JR
- Issue date: 1994 Oct
- Glycoprotein B of bovine herpesvirus 4 is a major component of the virion, unlike that of two other gammaherpesviruses, Epstein-Barr virus and murine gammaherpesvirus 68.
- Authors: Lomonte P, Filee P, Lyaku JR, Bublot M, Pastoret PP, Thiry E
- Issue date: 1997 Apr
- Murine gammaherpesvirus (MHV) M7 gene encoding glycoprotein 150 (gp150): difference in the sequence between 72 and 68 strains.
- Authors: Macáková K, Matis J, Rezuchová I, Kúdela O, Raslová H, Kúdelová M
- Issue date: 2003 Jan
- Murine gammaherpesvirus 68 lacking gp150 shows defective virion release but establishes normal latency in vivo.
- Authors: de Lima BD, May JS, Stevenson PG
- Issue date: 2004 May
- Functional Identification and Characterization of the Nuclear Egress Complex of a Gammaherpesvirus.
- Authors: Lv Y, Shen S, Xiang L, Jia X, Hou Y, Wang D, Deng H
- Issue date: 2019 Dec 15