Immunocytochemical studies of cellular reaction in human ischemic brain stroke. MAB anti-CD68 stains macrophages, astrocytes and microglial cells in infarcted area.
AffiliationDepartment of Neuropathology, Institute of Neurology Jagiellonian University, Krakow, Poland.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractStudies on human brains with ischemic insult were performed with immunohistochemical methods to identify antigenic properties of cells participating in that pathology. The 10 patients of whom the brains were obtained at autopsy aged from 51 to 81 years had survived from 3 to 17 days from the onset of stroke to death. Cells involved in the process of decomposition of infarcted tissue were analysed with immunocytochemical methods and CD68, EMB11 (Dako) monoclonal antibody (MAB) was used. Three cell types were visualized e.g. macrophages, astrocytes and microglial cells. Cells identified were numerous in the boundary zone of infarcts and only rarely distributed in the surrounding tissue at a distance from the necrotic tissue. A few cells only were stained in the contralateral hemisphere and none were astrocytes. Our results provide evidence that morphologically different cell types can be marked with the same antibody, which may be in agreement with their similar function in the pathogenesis of ischemic brain stroke.
CitationImmunocytochemical studies of cellular reaction in human ischemic brain stroke. MAB anti-CD68 stains macrophages, astrocytes and microglial cells in infarcted area. 1996, 34 (1):17-24 Folia Neuropathol
- VEGF expression in human brain tissue after acute ischemic stroke.
- Authors: Mărgăritescu O, Pirici D, Mărgăritescu C
- Issue date: 2011
- Microglial and astrocytic change in brains of Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease: an immunocytochemical and quantitative study.
- Authors: Aoki T, Kobayashi K, Isaki K
- Issue date: 1999 Mar-Apr
- Obtention and characterization of primary astrocyte and microglial cultures from adult monkey brains.
- Authors: Guillemin G, Boussin FD, Croitoru J, Franck-Duchenne M, Le Grand R, Lazarini F, Dormont D
- Issue date: 1997 Sep 1
- Localization of HIV-1 in human brain using polymerase chain reaction/in situ hybridization and immunocytochemistry.
- Authors: Takahashi K, Wesselingh SL, Griffin DE, McArthur JC, Johnson RT, Glass JD
- Issue date: 1996 Jun
- Selective accumulation of cyclooxygenase-1-expressing microglial cells/macrophages in lesions of human focal cerebral ischemia.
- Authors: Schwab JM, Nguyen TD, Postler E, Meyermann R, Schluesener HJ
- Issue date: 2000 Jun