AffiliationDepartment of Experimental Radiation Oncology, Paterson Institute for Cancer Research, Manchester, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractA series of compounds based on an asymmetrical protoporphyrin molecule have been examined. The paired groups of sensitizers differed in terms of the presence or absence of a permanent positive charge, in the alkyl side chain length and in having either a primary or secondary amine substituent. The effects of these variables on drug uptake, partition coefficient and photodynamic cell kill were tested. Drug uptake and partition coefficient were shown to be correlated. Differences in gross uptake were found within paired groups of sensitizers although cell-associated uptake alone did not correlate with clonogenic cell survival. Of the compounds tested it was the sensitizers with alkyl side chains, rather than the permanently positively charged compounds, which resulted in the greatest degree of clonogenic cell kill.
CitationNovel asymmetric photosensitizers: an in vitro study. 1996, 105 (2):187-93 Cancer Lett.
- Pharmacokinetic and therapeutic outcome in melanoma cells, of the administration of symmetric and asymmetric cationic photosensitizers.
- Authors: Haylett AK, Ross S, Truscott TG, Moore JV
- Issue date: 1995 Jan 27
- Singlet oxygen and superoxide characteristics of a series of novel asymmetric photosensitizers.
- Authors: Haylett AK, McNair FI, McGarvey D, Dodd NJ, Forbes E, Truscott TG, Moore JV
- Issue date: 1997 Jan 30
- Photodynamic and sonodynamic treatment by phthalocyanine on cancer cell lines.
- Authors: Kolarova H, Tomankova K, Bajgar R, Kolar P, Kubinek R
- Issue date: 2009 Aug
- Thioredoxin, thioredoxin reductase and tumour necrosis factor-alpha expression in melanoma cells: correlation to resistance against cytotoxic attack.
- Authors: Barral AM, Källström R, Sander B, Rosén A
- Issue date: 2000 Aug
- Comparison of sensitivity towards photodynamic therapy of cutaneous resident and infiltrating cell types in vitro.
- Authors: Boehncke WH, Rück A, Naumann J, Sterry W, Kaufmann R
- Issue date: 1996