Murine gammaherpesvirus-68 encodes homologues of thymidine kinase and glycoprotein H: sequence, expression, and characterization of pyrimidine kinase activity.
AffiliationCRC Department of Molecular Biology, Paterson Institute for Cancer Research, Christie CRC Research Centre, Christie Hospit, Withington, Manchester, United Kingdom.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractWe have sequenced a 4.5-kb fragment of DNA spanning the junction of the BamHI D and E fragments of murine gammaherpesvirus-68 (MHV-68). This sequence was found to code for two major open reading frames (orfs) of 1934 and 2192 bp which showed significant homology to the thymidine kinase (TK) and glycoprotein H (gH) sequences of other gammaherpesviruses. Upstream from the TK gene another orf was found which showed amino acid sequence homology to the HSV1 UL24 gene. Analysis of the 1934-bp orf revealed the presence of all six of the recognized sites that are conserved between herpesvirus TKs although, uniquely among sequenced herpesvirus TK enzymes, MHV-68 lacks the consensus nucleotide binding site GXXGXGK, the second glycine being replaced by alanine. The MHV-68 TK has a predicted M(r) of 68,443, while the gH is predicted to have a M(r) of 82,890. Northern blot analysis showed an early TK message of 2.6 kb and a late gH-specific message of 2.5 kb. Both TK and gH probes detected a 4.3-kb late message, implying that this late message spans gH and TK. The TK coding sequence was expressed using an in vitro transcription translation system and was shown to encode functional TK activity.
CitationMurine gammaherpesvirus-68 encodes homologues of thymidine kinase and glycoprotein H: sequence, expression, and characterization of pyrimidine kinase activity. 1996, 219 (2):475-9 Virology
- Identification and characterization of a shrimp white spot syndrome virus (WSSV) gene that encodes a novel chimeric polypeptide of cellular-type thymidine kinase and thymidylate kinase.
- Authors: Tsai MF, Yu HT, Tzeng HF, Leu JH, Chou CM, Huang CJ, Wang CH, Lin JY, Kou GH, Lo CF
- Issue date: 2000 Nov 10
- Characterization of the bovine herpesvirus 1 homolog of the herpes simplex virus 1 UL24 open reading frame.
- Authors: Whitbeck JC, Lawrence WC, Bello LJ
- Issue date: 1994 Apr
- Regulation of neighboring gene expression by the herpes simplex virus type 1 thymidine kinase gene.
- Authors: Cook WJ, Wobbe KK, Böni J, Coen DM
- Issue date: 1996 Apr 1
- Identification of the canarypox virus thymidine kinase gene and insertion of foreign genes.
- Authors: Amano H, Morikawa S, Shimizu H, Shoji I, Kurosawa D, Matsuura Y, Miyamura T, Ueda Y
- Issue date: 1999 Apr 10
- Identification of the thymidine kinase gene of infectious laryngotracheitis virus.
- Authors: Keeler CL Jr, Kingsley DH, Burton CR
- Issue date: 1991 Oct-Dec