Molecular modeling of the interaction of anthracenyl-amino acid topoisomerase inhibitors with the DNA sequence d(CGTACG).
AffiliationImperial Cancer Research Fund, Medical Oncology Unit, Western General Hospital, Edinburgh, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractAnthracenyl-amino acid and dipeptide conjugates represent new classes of topoisomerase (topo) inhibitors. To investigate the structural basis for their different selectivity against topo I and II and varying potency, the binding of six compounds to d(CGTACG) was studied by molecular modeling. Modeling data were in good agreement with physical data showing that five compounds intercalated DNA with the anthraquinone chromophore orientated in parallel to the long dimension of the d(CpG) base pairs and the amino acid placed in the minor groove. Differences in binding modes emerged which correlated to different biological properties. The amino acid chain of the topo I inhibitor (NU/ICRF 600, gly-phe) extended significantly out from the helical axis horizontal. The amino acid side chains of two topo II inhibitors (NU/ICRF 510, arginine and NU/ ICRF 512, methionine) were inserted into the minor groove, whereas the C-terminal groups (hydrazide) of two potent topo II inhibitors (NU/ICRF 500 and 506, serine) were placed into the minor groove while the amino acid side chains pointed away from the minor groove. These data provide structural information which may prove valuable in rational design of second generation analogs.
CitationMolecular modeling of the interaction of anthracenyl-amino acid topoisomerase inhibitors with the DNA sequence d(CGTACG). 1996, 7 (6):636-41 Anticancer Drugs
- Biochemistry of topoisomerase I and II inhibition by anthracenyl-amino acid conjugates.
- Authors: Meikle I, Cummings J, Macpherson JS, Hadfield JA, Smyth JF
- Issue date: 1995 Jun 16
- Cytogenetic evaluation of the mechanism of cell death induced by the novel anthracenyl-amino acid topoisomerase II catalytic inhibitor NU/ICRF 500.
- Authors: Cummings J, Sumner AT, Slavotinek A, Meikle I, Macpherson JS, Smyth JF
- Issue date: 1995 Aug
- Development of anthracenyl-amino acid conjugates as topoisomerase I and II inhibitors that circumvent drug resistance.
- Authors: Cummings J, Macpherson JS, Meikle I, Smyth JF
- Issue date: 1996 Oct 11
- Induction of apoptosis in human cancer cell lines by the novel anthracenyl-amino acid topoisomerase I inhibitor NU/ICRF 505.
- Authors: Meikle I, Cummings J, Macpherson JS, Smyth JF
- Issue date: 1996 Aug
- Accumulation of anthracenyl-amino acid topoisomerase I and II inhibitors in drug-sensitive and drug-resistant human ovarian cancer cell lines determined by high-performance liquid chromatography.
- Authors: Cummings J, Meikle I, Macpherson JS, Smyth JF
- Issue date: 1995