Metastasis-associated 5T4 antigen disrupts cell-cell contacts and induces cellular motility in epithelial cells.
AffiliationCRC Department of Immunology, Paterson Institute for Cancer Research, Christie Hospital NHS Trust, Manchester, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe 5T4 antigen is defined by a monoclonal antibody (MAb) specific for human trophoblast. It is also expressed by many types of tumour cell and has been associated with metastasis and poor clinical outcome in a number of cancers. This pattern of expression is consistent with a mechanistic involvement of 5T4 molecules in the spread of cancer cells. The 5T4 antigen is a transmembrane glycoprotein with a 310 amino acid extracellular domain and a 44 amino acid cytoplasmic domain. Transfection of full-length 5T4 cDNA into epithelial cells alters cell-cell contacts and cellular motility. Thus, in 5T4-transfected CL-S1 murine mammary cells, 5T4 expression is associated with dendritic morphology, accompanied by abrogation of actin/cadherin-containing contacts and increased motility. In transfected MDCK canine kidney epithelial cells, 5T4 over-expression also results in increased motility, but disruption of cell-cell contacts, either by culturing cells in low calcium medium or by addition of HGF/SF, is needed. The effects of 5T4 expression on morphology and motility are separable since cells transfected with a truncated form of 5T4 cDNA in which the cytoplasmic domain is deleted reveal that the latter is necessary to abrogate actin/cadherin-containing contacts but does not influence the effects on motility. Thus, 5T4 molecules can deliver signals through both the extracellular and intracellular domains, and the resultant effects are consistent with a role for 5T4 molecules in invasion processes.
CitationMetastasis-associated 5T4 antigen disrupts cell-cell contacts and induces cellular motility in epithelial cells. 1996, 68 (1):84-92 Int. J. Cancer
JournalInternational Journal of Cancer
- Metastasis-associated 5T4 oncofoetal antigen is concentrated at microvillus projections of the plasma membrane.
- Authors: Carsberg CJ, Myers KA, Evans GS, Allen TD, Stern PL
- Issue date: 1995 Aug
- Characterization of the murine 5T4 oncofoetal antigen: a target for immunotherapy in cancer.
- Authors: Woods AM, Wang WW, Shaw DM, Ward CM, Carroll MW, Rees BR, Stern PL
- Issue date: 2002 Aug 15
- E-cadherin inhibits cell surface localization of the pro-migratory 5T4 oncofetal antigen in mouse embryonic stem cells.
- Authors: Spencer HL, Eastham AM, Merry CL, Southgate TD, Perez-Campo F, Soncin F, Ritson S, Kemler R, Stern PL, Ward CM
- Issue date: 2007 Aug
- The 5T4 oncofoetal antigen is an early differentiation marker of mouse ES cells and its absence is a useful means to assess pluripotency.
- Authors: Ward CM, Barrow K, Woods AM, Stern PL
- Issue date: 2003 Nov 15
- Attenuated recombinant vaccinia virus expressing oncofetal antigen (tumor-associated antigen) 5T4 induces active therapy of established tumors.
- Authors: Mulryan K, Ryan MG, Myers KA, Shaw D, Wang W, Kingsman SM, Stern PL, Carroll MW
- Issue date: 2002 Oct