Rothmund-Thomson syndrome: two case reports show heterogeneous cutaneous abnormalities, an association with genetically programmed ageing changes, and increased chromosomal radiosensitivity.
AffiliationDepartment of Medical Genetics, St Mary's Hospital, Manchester, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractRothmund-Thomson syndrome is a rare, autosomal recessive disorder associated with characteristic cutaneous changes, sparse hair, juvenile cataracts, short stature, skeletal defects, dystrophic teeth and nails, and hypogonadism. Mental retardation is unusual. An increased incidence of certain malignancies has been reported. Clonal or mosaic chromosome abnormalities and abnormalities in DNA repair mechanisms have been reported in some cases. We report two cases of Rothmund-Thomson syndrome, both with intellectual handicap, associated in one with a previously undescribed histological appearance of involved skin, suggesting that the spectrum of abnormalities is even more heterogeneous than previously presumed. Both cases exhibited chromosomal radiosensitivity of lymphocytes which may be an indication of a DNA repair defect. This is the first report of an association between Rothmund-Thomson syndrome and unique, intrinsic, age related skin changes.
CitationRothmund-Thomson syndrome: two case reports show heterogeneous cutaneous abnormalities, an association with genetically programmed ageing changes, and increased chromosomal radiosensitivity. 1996, 33 (11):928-34 J. Med. Genet.
JournalJournal of Medical Genetics
- Two primary osteosarcomas in a patient with Rothmund-Thomson syndrome.
- Authors: Anbari KK, Ierardi-Curto LA, Silber JS, Asada N, Spinner N, Zackai EH, Belasco J, Morrissette JD, Dormans JP
- Issue date: 2000 Sep
- Rothmund-Thomson syndrome: review of the world literature.
- Authors: Vennos EM, Collins M, James WD
- Issue date: 1992 Nov
- [Rothmund-Thomson syndrome, trisomy 8 mosaicism and RECQ4 gene mutation].
- Authors: Durand F, Castorina P, Morant C, Delobel B, Barouk E, Modiano P
- Issue date: 2002 Jun-Jul
- Granulomatous skin lesions complicating Varicella infection in a patient with Rothmund-Thomson syndrome and immune deficiency: case report.
- Authors: De Somer L, Wouters C, Morren MA, De Vos R, Van Den Oord J, Devriendt K, Meyts I
- Issue date: 2010 Dec 8
- [An infant with short stature and red cheeks (Rothmund-Thomson syndrome)].
- Authors: Leusink JP, Tolboom JJ, Weemaes CM, Koopman RJ
- Issue date: 1991 Dec