Regulation of cell differentiation in C2C12 myoblasts by the Id3 helix-loop-helix protein.
AffiliationCRC Department of Gene Regulation, Paterson Institute for Cancer Research, Christie Hospital National Health Service Trust, Manchester, United Kingdom.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractTo investigate the biological functions of the helix-loop-helix Id3 protein, we have examined the effects of ectopic modulation of Id3 expression on in vitro induced differentiation of mouse C2C12 myoblast cells. Transient and stable C2C12 transfectants expressing either inducible or constitutive levels of exogenous Id3 were impaired in their ability to differentiate in response to removal of mitogenic serum growth factors. Stable Id3 transfectants displayed an enhanced proliferative capacity associated with a delay in exit from the cell cycle in response to differentiation induction. Antisense blockade of Id3 potentiated differentiation and exit from S phase of the cell cycle. These observations suggest that Id3 functions as a negative regulator of differentiation by integrating mitogenic growth factor signaling into the gene regulatory program maintaining cell cycle progression.
CitationRegulation of cell differentiation in C2C12 myoblasts by the Id3 helix-loop-helix protein. 1996, 7 (8):1059-66 Cell Growth Differ.
JournalCell Growth & Differentiation
- Muscle cell differentiation is inhibited by the helix-loop-helix protein Id3.
- Authors: Melnikova IN, Christy BA
- Issue date: 1996 Aug
- Lymphoid-specific expression of the Id3 gene in hematopoietic cells. Selective antagonism of E2A basic helix-loop-helix protein associated with Id3-induced differentiation of erythroleukemia cells.
- Authors: Deed RW, Jasiok M, Norton JD
- Issue date: 1998 Apr 3
- Coupling of cell growth control and apoptosis functions of Id proteins.
- Authors: Norton JD, Atherton GT
- Issue date: 1998 Apr
- Identification of a novel redox-sensitive gene, Id3, which mediates angiotensin II-induced cell growth.
- Authors: Mueller C, Baudler S, Welzel H, Böhm M, Nickenig G
- Issue date: 2002 May 21
- Id3 prevents differentiation of preadipose cells.
- Authors: Moldes M, Lasnier F, Fève B, Pairault J, Djian P
- Issue date: 1997 Apr