Regulation of cell differentiation in C2C12 myoblasts by the Id3 helix-loop-helix protein.
AffiliationCRC Department of Gene Regulation, Paterson Institute for Cancer Research, Christie Hospital National Health Service Trust, Manchester, United Kingdom.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractTo investigate the biological functions of the helix-loop-helix Id3 protein, we have examined the effects of ectopic modulation of Id3 expression on in vitro induced differentiation of mouse C2C12 myoblast cells. Transient and stable C2C12 transfectants expressing either inducible or constitutive levels of exogenous Id3 were impaired in their ability to differentiate in response to removal of mitogenic serum growth factors. Stable Id3 transfectants displayed an enhanced proliferative capacity associated with a delay in exit from the cell cycle in response to differentiation induction. Antisense blockade of Id3 potentiated differentiation and exit from S phase of the cell cycle. These observations suggest that Id3 functions as a negative regulator of differentiation by integrating mitogenic growth factor signaling into the gene regulatory program maintaining cell cycle progression.
CitationRegulation of cell differentiation in C2C12 myoblasts by the Id3 helix-loop-helix protein. 1996, 7 (8):1059-66 Cell Growth Differ.
JournalCell Growth & Differentiation
- Muscle cell differentiation is inhibited by the helix-loop-helix protein Id3.
- Authors: Melnikova IN, Christy BA
- Issue date: 1996 Aug
- Genetic modification of human B-cell development: B-cell development is inhibited by the dominant negative helix loop helix factor Id3.
- Authors: Jaleco AC, Stegmann AP, Heemskerk MH, Couwenberg F, Bakker AQ, Weijer K, Spits H
- Issue date: 1999 Oct 15
- Hepatocyte growth factor (HGF) inhibits skeletal muscle cell differentiation: a role for the bHLH protein twist and the cdk inhibitor p27.
- Authors: Leshem Y, Spicer DB, Gal-Levi R, Halevy O
- Issue date: 2000 Jul
- Functional antagonism between inhibitor of DNA binding (Id) and adipocyte determination and differentiation factor 1/sterol regulatory element-binding protein-1c (ADD1/SREBP-1c) trans-factors for the regulation of fatty acid synthase promoter in adipocytes.
- Authors: Moldes M, Boizard M, Liepvre XL, Fève B, Dugail I, Pairault J
- Issue date: 1999 Dec 15
- Expression of Id helix-loop-helix proteins in colorectal adenocarcinoma correlates with p53 expression and mitotic index.
- Authors: Wilson JW, Deed RW, Inoue T, Balzi M, Becciolini A, Faraoni P, Potten CS, Norton JD
- Issue date: 2001 Dec 15