High levels of loss at the 17p telomere suggest the close proximity of a tumour suppressor.
AuthorsWhite, Gavin R M
Santibanez-Koref, Mauro F
Liscia, D S
Wang, J C
Betticher, Daniel C
Altermatt, H J
Hoban, Paul R
AffiliationCRC Department of Cancer Genetics, Paterson Institute for Cancer Research, Christie Hospital (NHS) Trust, Manchester, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractHigh levels of loss of distal markers on 17p13.3 in breast cancer suggested the presence within the region of at least one tumour-suppressor gene. Here we describe the derivation of two biallelic polymorphisms from the 17p telomeric yeast artificial chromosome (YAC) TYAC98. Polymerase chain reaction-restriction fragment length polymorphism (PCR-RFLP) and multiplex PCR analysis demonstrated that the high level of allelic imbalance observed in breast tumours represented loss of constitutional heterozygosity (LOH) and that this LOH extended to the telomere. Lung carcinoma (but not Wilms' tumour)-derived DNA again revealed a high level of loss of subtelomeric 17p sequences. Telomeric microsatellite polymorphisms from other chromosome arms did not show such elevated loss in either tumour type. This suggested that the 17p loss observed did not reflect a general telomeric instability and provided further evidence for the presence of a breast cancer tumour-suppressor gene in the distal region of 17p13.3.
CitationHigh levels of loss at the 17p telomere suggest the close proximity of a tumour suppressor. 1996, 74 (6):863-70 Br. J. Cancer
JournalBritish Journal of Cancer
- Loss of heterozygosity at 17p13.3-ter, distal to TP53, correlates with negative hormonal phenotype in sporadic breast cancer.
- Authors: Roncuzzi L, Brognara I, Baiocchi D, Amadori D, Gasperi-Campani A
- Issue date: 2005 Aug
- A common region of deletion on chromosome 17q in both sporadic and familial epithelial ovarian tumors distal to BRCA1.
- Authors: Godwin AK, Vanderveer L, Schultz DC, Lynch HT, Altomare DA, Buetow KH, Daly M, Getts LA, Masny A, Rosenblum N
- Issue date: 1994 Oct
- High-resolution deletion mapping of chromosome arm 17p in childhood primitive neuroectodermal tumors reveals a common chromosomal disruption within the Smith-Magenis region, an unstable region in chromosome band 17p11.2.
- Authors: Scheurlen WG, Seranski P, Mincheva A, Kühl J, Sörensen N, Krauss J, Lichter P, Poustka A, Wilgenbus KK
- Issue date: 1997 Jan
- Patterns of allelic loss on chromosome 17 in sporadic breast carcinomas detected by fluorescent-labeled microsatellite analysis.
- Authors: Niederacher D, Picard F, van Roeyen C, An HX, Bender HG, Beckmann MW
- Issue date: 1997 Mar
- Allelic loss on distal chromosome 17p is associated with poor prognosis in a group of Brazilian breast cancer patients.
- Authors: Nagai MA, Pacheco MM, Brentani MM, Marques LA, Brentani RR, Ponder BA, Mulligan LM
- Issue date: 1994 Apr