No defect in G1/S cell cycle arrest in irradiated Li-Fraumeni lymphoblastoid cell lines.
AffiliationCRC Department of Cancer Genetics, Paterson Institute for Cancer Research, Christie Hospital NHS Trust, Manchester, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe radiation response of Epstein-Barr virus (EBV)-immortalised lymphoblastoid cell lines derive from Li-Fraumeni syndrome (LFS) and LFS-like individuals was investigated. Cells from all LFS and LFS-like cases showed an accumulation of p53 protein following 137Cs gamma-irradiation, which was associated with cell cycle arrest at the G1/S border. This response was indistinguishable from that seen in cells derived from normal individuals, and occurred in cases with missense mutations in the TP53 gene at codons 175, 180, 220 and 248 and also in two LFS-like individuals with no TP53 mutation. Previous studies using lymphocytes and fibroblasts from LFS individuals have demonstrated abnormal radiation responses in these cells. This suggest cell type specificity in the contribution of a mutant p53 protein to phenotype.
CitationNo defect in G1/S cell cycle arrest in irradiated Li-Fraumeni lymphoblastoid cell lines. 1996, 74 (5):698-703 Br. J. Cancer
JournalBritish Journal of Cancer
- Cell cycle arrest defect in Li-Fraumeni Syndrome: a mechanism of cancer predisposition?
- Authors: Williams KJ, Boyle JM, Birch JM, Norton JD, Scott D
- Issue date: 1997 Jan 23
- Dissociation between cell cycle arrest and apoptosis can occur in Li-Fraumeni cells heterozygous for p53 gene mutations.
- Authors: Delia D, Goi K, Mizutani S, Yamada T, Aiello A, Fontanella E, Lamorte G, Iwata S, Ishioka C, Krajewski S, Reed JC, Pierotti MA
- Issue date: 1997 May 8
- Relationships between G1 arrest and stability of the p53 and p21Cip1/Waf1 proteins following gamma-irradiation of human lymphoma cells.
- Authors: Bae I, Fan S, Bhatia K, Kohn KW, Fornace AJ Jr, O'Connor PM
- Issue date: 1995 Jun 1
- A possible screening test for inherited p53-related defects based on the apoptotic response of peripheral blood lymphocytes to DNA damage.
- Authors: Camplejohn RS, Perry P, Hodgson SV, Turner G, Williams A, Upton C, MacGeoch C, Mohammed S, Barnes DM
- Issue date: 1995 Sep
- DNA damage-associated dysregulation of the cell cycle and apoptosis control in cells with germ-line p53 mutation.
- Authors: Goi K, Takagi M, Iwata S, Delia D, Asada M, Donghi R, Tsunematsu Y, Nakazawa S, Yamamoto H, Yokota J, Tamura K, Saeki Y, Utsunomiya J, Takahashi T, Ueda R, Ishioka C, Eguchi M, Kamata N, Mizutani S
- Issue date: 1997 May 15