RNP export is mediated by structural reorganization of the nuclear pore basket.
AffiliationCRC Department of Structural Cell Biology, Paterson Institute for Cancer Research, Christie Hospital, National Health Service Trust, Manchester, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractMessenger RNA leaves the cell nucleus as ribonucleoprotein (RNP) particles. The nucleocytoplasmic translocation of the particles takes place through the nuclear pore complex (NPC) and includes two steps: binding to the NPC and transit through its central channel. The NPC basket is a fishtrap-like component of NPC facing the nucleoplasm. Its position in the NPC strongly suggests that it has an important role in the initial steps of macromolecular export from the nucleus. Here we report a cyclic rearrangement of the basket structure in relation to the translocation of a specific messenger RNP (mRNP) of exceptional size, the Balbiani ring RNP particles in the salivary gland cells in Chironomus. We used field emission in-lens scanning electron microscopy (FEISEM), transmission electron microscopy (TEM), and immunocytochemistry to analyse the structural organization of the basket during the mRNP export. Our observations reveal five configurations of the basket which are presented in a model of basket reorganization related to the state of mRNP penetration into the NPC. We suggest that the functional role of the basket is to anchor the mRNP particle to the NPC and position it in correct orientation at the entrance to the central channel of the NPC.
CitationRNP export is mediated by structural reorganization of the nuclear pore basket. 1996, 260 (3):304-11 J. Mol. Biol.
JournalJournal of Molecular Biology
- Active nuclear pore complexes in Chironomus: visualization of transporter configurations related to mRNP export.
- Authors: Kiseleva E, Goldberg MW, Allen TD, Akey CW
- Issue date: 1998 Jan
- Exclusion of mRNPs and ribosomal particles from a thin zone beneath the nuclear envelope revealed upon inhibition of transport.
- Authors: Kylberg K, Björk P, Fomproix N, Ivarsson B, Wieslander L, Daneholt B
- Issue date: 2010 Apr 1
- The intranuclear movement of Balbiani ring premessenger ribonucleoprotein particles.
- Authors: Singh OP, Björkroth B, Masich S, Wieslander L, Daneholt B
- Issue date: 1999 Aug 25
- Close coupling between transcription and exit of mRNP from the cell nucleus.
- Authors: Kylberg K, Björkroth B, Ivarsson B, Fomproix N, Daneholt B
- Issue date: 2008 May 1
- The mRNA export factor Dbp5 is associated with Balbiani ring mRNP from gene to cytoplasm.
- Authors: Zhao J, Jin SB, Björkroth B, Wieslander L, Daneholt B
- Issue date: 2002 Mar 1