Expression of the vascular endothelial growth factor receptor, KDR, in human placenta.
AffiliationInstitute of Endocrinology, Immunology and Nutrition, Faculty of Science, University of Belgrade, Yugoslavia.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractVascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) is a heparin-binding growth factor known to act directly on vascular endothelial cells by promoting cell proliferation and permeability. To date, 3 structurally related cell surface receptors for VEGF, Flt-1, Flt-4 and KDR, have been identified and shown to be human type III receptor tyrosine kinases. The establishment of a vascular network is crucial to the development of the placenta and occurs through both angiogenesis and vasculogenesis. The signals controlling these processes are unclear. Immunohistochemical and in situ hybridisation techniques have localised VEGF in the trophoblast layers and VEGF binding to placental vascular endothelial cells and haemangioblasts has been shown, suggesting a role for VEGF and its receptors in development of the vascular network. In this study we have used specific antibodies to localise KDR and endothelial cells in 1st and 3rd trimester human placenta. The staining showed a colocalisation of KDR with endothelial cells and haemangioblasts. No staining of trophoblast cells was observed, but strong staining of the endothelial cells was seen in the villous stroma adjacent to areas of trophoblast proliferation.
CitationExpression of the vascular endothelial growth factor receptor, KDR, in human placenta. 1996, 188 ( Pt 2):361-6 J. Anat.
JournalJournal of Anatomy
- Immunohistochemical localization of vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) and its two specific receptors, Flt-1 and KDR, in the porcine placenta and non-pregnant uterus.
- Authors: Winther H, Ahmed A, Dantzer V
- Issue date: 1999 Jan
- Co-localization of vascular endothelial growth factor and its two receptors flt-1 and kdr in the mink placenta.
- Authors: Winther H, Dantzer V
- Issue date: 2001 May
- Localization of VEGF and expression of its receptors flt and KDR in human placenta throughout pregnancy.
- Authors: Clark DE, Smith SK, Sharkey AM, Charnock-Jones DS
- Issue date: 1996 May
- Localization of vascular endothelial growth factor and its receptor, flt, in human placenta and decidua by immunohistochemistry.
- Authors: Cooper JC, Sharkey AM, McLaren J, Charnock-Jones DS, Smith SK
- Issue date: 1995 Nov
- Developmental expression of vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) receptors and VEGF binding in ovine placenta and fetal membranes.
- Authors: Bogic LV, Brace RA, Cheung CY
- Issue date: 2001 Apr