DNA inclusions within autolytic cytoplasmic vacuoles of hemopoietic stem cell line FDCP-Mix.
AffiliationCRC Department of Structural Cell Biology, Paterson Institute for Cancer Research, Christie Hospital, Manchester, United Kingdom.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractFDCP-Mix, a pluripotent routine hemopoietic stem cell line undergoes internucleosomal cleavage of DNA when induced to apoptosis either by drugs or by withdrawal of growth factor (IL-3), and also displays a pattern of nuclear morphology that is typical for apoptosis. However, increased autolytic activity in the cytoplasm precedes the nuclear changes. For etoposide-treated FDCP-Mix cells, mitochondria were identified as a target for autolytic digestion in large autolytic vacuoles, but during this period an increase in the number of mitochondria was observed. The autolytic vacuoles displayed variations in their content. Large, electron-dense inclusions resembling "condensed chromatin" could regularly be found in FDCP-Mix cells treated with low concentrations of etoposide (<4 microM). Confocal fluorescence microscopy and DNAse-gold labeling were employed to demonstrate the presence of DNA in the formation of the electron-dense inclusions within autolytic vacuoles. The identification of mitochondrial macroautophagy, the evidence for an etoposide-induced proliferation of mitochondria, and the fact that electron-dense inclusions are formed at a stage when the morphology of the nucleus is still not effected, suggests that the DNA within the autolytic vacuoles may be of mitochondrial origin.
CitationDNA inclusions within autolytic cytoplasmic vacuoles of hemopoietic stem cell line FDCP-Mix. 1996, 44 (6):549-58 J. Histochem. Cytochem.
JournalThe Journal of Histochemistry and Cytochemistry
- Changes of mitochondrial mass in the hemopoietic stem cell line FDCP-mix after treatment with etoposide: a correlative study by multiparameter flow cytometry and confocal and electron microscopy.
- Authors: Reipert S, Berry J, Hughes MF, Hickman JA, Allen TD
- Issue date: 1995 Dec
- Nucleolar segregation during apoptosis of haemopoietic stem cell line FDCP-Mix.
- Authors: Reipert S, Bennion G, Hickman JA, Allen TD
- Issue date: 1999 Apr
- Nuclear pore clustering is a consistent feature of apoptosis in vitro.
- Authors: Reipert S, Reipert BM, Hickman JA, Allen TD
- Issue date: 1996 Jan
- Interleukin-3-dependent hematopoietic stem cell lines capable of osteoclast formation in vitro.
- Authors: Hagenaars CE, Kawilarang-de Haas EW, van der Kraan AA, Spooncer E, Dexter TM, Nijweide PJ
- Issue date: 1991 Sep
- Restorative effect of IL-3 on adherence of cloned hemopoietic progenitor cell to stromal cell.
- Authors: Minguell JJ, Hardy CL
- Issue date: 1993 Jan