Evaluation of the pro-oxidant and antioxidant actions of L-DOPA and dopamine in vitro: implications for Parkinson's disease.
AffiliationNeurodegenerative Diseases Research Centre, University of London King's College, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe antioxidant and pro-oxidant properties of L-DOPA and dopamine were investigated in vitro. Both compounds inhibited the peroxidation of ox-brain phospholipids, with IC50 values of 8.5 microM for dopamine and 450 microM for L-DOPA. Dopamine and L-DOPA reacted with trichloromethyl peroxyl radicals (CCl3O2.) with rate constants of 2.1 x 10(7)M-1s-1 and 1.3 x 10(7)M-1s-1 respectively. The effects of dopamine and L-DOPA on iron ion-dependent hydroxyl radical generation from H2O2 were complex. In general, low concentrations stimulated OH. formation in the presence of ferric-EDTA and, in the case of L-DOPA, ferric-ADP and ferric citrate chelates. Both compounds also reacted with superoxide radical and hypochlorous acid. The products of the reaction with HOCl could still inhibit alpha 1-antiproteinase and appear to be 'long lived' chloramine-type oxidizing species. Our results suggest that L-DOPA and dopamine might have a complex mixture of pro- and anti- oxidant effects, which could contribute to tissue damage due to oxidative stress in Parkinson's disease and other neurological disorders.
CitationEvaluation of the pro-oxidant and antioxidant actions of L-DOPA and dopamine in vitro: implications for Parkinson's disease. 1996, 24 (2):95-105 Free Radic. Res.
JournalFree Radical Research
- Evaluation of the antioxidant actions of ferulic acid and catechins.
- Authors: Scott BC, Butler J, Halliwell B, Aruoma OI
- Issue date: 1993
- Lipoic and dihydrolipoic acids as antioxidants. A critical evaluation.
- Authors: Scott BC, Aruoma OI, Evans PJ, O'Neill C, Van der Vliet A, Cross CE, Tritschler H, Halliwell B
- Issue date: 1994 Feb
- Evaluation of the antioxidant activity of melatonin in vitro.
- Authors: Marshall KA, Reiter RJ, Poeggeler B, Aruoma OI, Halliwell B
- Issue date: 1996
- Characterization of the potential antioxidant and pro-oxidant actions of some neuroleptic drugs.
- Authors: Jeding I, Evans PJ, Akanmu D, Dexter D, Spencer JD, Aruoma OI, Jenner P, Halliwell B
- Issue date: 1995 Jan 31
- HTHQ (1-O-hexyl-2,3,5-trimethylhydroquinone), an anti-lipid-peroxidative compound: its chemical and biochemical characterizations.
- Authors: Hino T, Kawanishi S, Yasui H, Oka S, Sakurai H
- Issue date: 1998 Sep 16