Cross-linking and sequence specific alkylation of DNA BY aziridinylquinones. 1. Quinone methides.
AffiliationCRC Department of Biophysical Chemistry, Paterson Institute for Cancer Research, Christie Hospital NHS Trust, Manchester, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe cytotoxicities and DNA cross-linking abilities of 16 1,4-benzoquinones have been investigated. All of the alkylmonoaziridinyl-1,4-benzoquinones were able to interstrand crosslink DNA after reduction and were cytotoxic in vitro. Compounds lacking an aziridine group were unable to cross-link DNA and were less cytotoxic. The methyl analogues were shown to preferentially react at TGC sequences. From comparing the structural requirements for crosslinking and the cytotoxicities, a mechanism has been proposed wherein some hydroquinones can associate and react at TGC sequences in DNA. These hydroquinones can subsequently autoxidize to form a reactive quinone methide which reacts at the opposite strand to form a cross-link.
CitationCross-linking and sequence specific alkylation of DNA BY aziridinylquinones. 1. Quinone methides. 1996, 39 (2):531-7 J. Med. Chem.
JournalJournal of Medicinal Chemistry
- Cross-linking and sequence specific alkylation of DNA by aziridinyl quinones. 2. Structure requirements for sequence selectivity.
- Authors: Hargreaves RH, Mayalarp SP, Butler J, McAdam SR, O'Hare CC, Hartley JA
- Issue date: 1997 Jan 31
- Cross-linking and sequence-specific alkylation of DNA by aziridinylquinones. 3. Effects of alkyl substituents.
- Authors: Hargreaves RH, O'Hare CC, Hartley JA, Ross D, Butler J
- Issue date: 1999 Jun 17
- Mechanisms of action of quinone-containing alkylating agents: DNA alkylation by aziridinylquinones.
- Authors: Hargreaves RH, Hartley JA, Butler J
- Issue date: 2000 Nov 1
- Sequence-specific delivery of a quinone methide intermediate to the major groove of DNA.
- Authors: Zhou Q, Pande P, Johnson AE, Rokita SE
- Issue date: 2001 Sep
- Alkylation of 2'-deoxynucleosides and DNA by quinone methides derived from 2,6-di-tert-butyl-4-methylphenol.
- Authors: Lewis MA, Yoerg DG, Bolton JL, Thompson JA
- Issue date: 1996 Dec