Comparison of photodynamic therapy with cryotherapy in the treatment of Bowen's disease.
AffiliationUniversity Department of Dermatology, Western Infirmary, Glasgow, U.K.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe efficacy and suitability of photodynamic therapy (PDT) was compared with that of cryotherapy in the treatment of 40 lesions of Bowen's disease. Lesions were randomized to receive either cryotherapy with liquid nitrogen, or PDT using a portable desktop lamp incorporating a 300 W xenon short arc discharge source. A porphyrin precursor, 5-aminolaevulinic acid (5-ALA), was applied topically 4 h before irradiation in the PDT group. Each lesion received 125 J/cm2 at a fluence rate of 70 mW/cm2. All patients were reviewed at 2-monthly intervals and treatments repeated if required. Cryotherapy produced clearance in 10 of 20 lesions after one treatment, the remaining 10 lesions requiring two or three treatment applications. PDT resulted in clearance of 15 of 20 lesions after one treatment and of the remaining five lesions after a second treatment. The probability that a lesion cleared after one treatment was greater with PDT than cryotherapy (P < 0.01). Cryotherapy was associated with ulceration (five of 20), infection (two of 20) and recurrent disease (two of 20); no such complications occurred following PDT. PDT using a non-laser light source and topical 5-ALA appears to be at least as effective as cryotherapy in the treatment of Bowen's disease with fewer adverse effects.
CitationComparison of photodynamic therapy with cryotherapy in the treatment of Bowen's disease. 1996, 135 (5):766-71 Br. J. Dermatol.
JournalThe British Journal of Dermatology
- Investigation of the use of the pulsed dye laser in the treatment of Bowen's disease using 5-aminolaevulinic acid phototherapy.
- Authors: Britton JE, Goulden V, Stables G, Stringer M, Sheehan-Dare R
- Issue date: 2005 Oct
- Photodynamic therapy with violet light and topical 6-aminolaevulinic acid in the treatment of actinic keratosis, Bowen's disease and basal cell carcinoma.
- Authors: Dijkstra AT, Majoie IM, van Dongen JW, van Weelden H, van Vloten WA
- Issue date: 2001 Nov
- Interventions for cutaneous Bowen's disease.
- Authors: Bath-Hextall FJ, Matin RN, Wilkinson D, Leonardi-Bee J
- Issue date: 2013 Jun 24
- Randomized comparison of photodynamic therapy with topical 5-fluorouracil in Bowen's disease.
- Authors: Salim A, Leman JA, McColl JH, Chapman R, Morton CA
- Issue date: 2003 Mar
- Comparison of the efficacy of ALA-PDT using an excimer-dye laser (630 nm) and a metal-halide lamp (600 to 740 nm) for treatment of Bowen's disease.
- Authors: Mizutani K, Akita Y, Yanagishita T, Kimura M, Tanaka T, Kinoshita Y, Nakano A, Tamada Y, Matsumoto Y, Watanabe D
- Issue date: 2012 Jun