The effect of the GM-CSF/IL-3 fusion protein PIXY321 on bone marrow and circulating haemopoietic cells of previously untreated patients with cancer.
AffiliationCRC Department of Medical Oncology, Christie Hospital, Manchester.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThis is a phase I/II study of the GM-CSF/IL-3 fusion protein (PIXY321. Patients were treated with PIXY321 at a daily subcutaneous dose of 500, 750 and 1000 micrograms/m2 for 14 d. Side-effects were mild and consisted mainly of injection-site reactions and constitutional symptoms. A biphasic modest increase of white blood count (2-5-fold) and platelets (1-1.5 fold) was seen, accompanied by an increased bone marrow cellularity and an increase in circulating progenitors. Colony-forming cells in the blood rose to a median of 184 granulocyte/macrophage-colony forming cells (GM-CFC)/ml, eight Mix-CFC/ml, 250 burst forming units-erythroid (BFU-E)/ml and 140 CFU-mega-karyocytes/ml, corresponding to a 10-, 2.5, 8- and 30-fold increase respectively. When seeded for long-term culture on irradiated bone marrow stroma, the mobilized cells were not able to sustain haemopoiesis in vitro to the same degree as bone marrow. Taken together these results indicate that PIXY321 has a biological effect in humans more similar to that of IL-3 than to that of GM-CSF.
CitationThe effect of the GM-CSF/IL-3 fusion protein PIXY321 on bone marrow and circulating haemopoietic cells of previously untreated patients with cancer. 1996, 93 (1):6-12 Br. J. Haematol.
JournalBritish Journal of Haematology
- Effects of in vivo treatment with PIXY321 (GM-CSF/IL-3 fusion protein) on proliferation kinetics of bone marrow and blood myeloid progenitor cells in patients with sarcoma.
- Authors: Broxmeyer HE, Benninger L, Cooper S, Hague N, Benjamin RS, Vadhan-Raj S
- Issue date: 1995 Apr
- Effect of interleukin-3 pretreatment on granulocyte/macrophage colony-stimulating factor induced mobilization of circulating haemopoietic progenitor cells.
- Authors: Geissler K, Peschel C, Niederwieser D, Goldschmitt J, Hladik F, Fritz A, Ohler L, Bettelheim P, Huber C, Lechner K
- Issue date: 1995 Oct
- Expansion of granulocyte colony-stimulating factor/chemotherapy-mobilized CD34+ hematopoietic progenitors: role of granulocyte-macrophage colony-stimulating factor/erythropoietin hybrid protein (MEN11303) and interleukin-15.
- Authors: Pierelli L, Scambia G, Bonanno G, Coscarella A, De Santis R, Mele A, Battaglia A, Fattorossi A, Romeo V, Menichella G, Mancuso S, Leone G
- Issue date: 1999 Mar
- Interleukin-3 followed by GM-CSF for delayed engraftment after autologous bone marrow transplantation.
- Authors: Crump M, Couture F, Kovacs M, Saragosa R, McCrae J, Brandwein J, Huebsch L, Beauregard-Zollinger L, Keating A
- Issue date: 1993 Mar
- Mobilization of peripheral blood stem cells by subcutaneous injections of yeast-derived granulocyte macrophage colony stimulating factor: a phase I-II study.
- Authors: Mangan K, Mullaney M, Klumpp T, Goldberg S, Macdonald J
- Issue date: 1993 Sep