Evidence for reciprocity of bcl-2 and p53 expression in human colorectal adenomas and carcinomas.
AuthorsWatson, A J
Merritt, A J
Jones, L S
Askew, J N
Potten, Christopher S
Hickman, John A
AffiliationDepartment of Medicine, University of Manchester, Hope Hospital, Salford, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractEvidence of accumulating for the failure of apoptosis as an important factor in the evolution of colorectal cancer and its poor response to adjuvant therapy. The proto-oncogene bcl-2 suppresses apoptosis. Its expression could provide an important survival advantage permitting the development of colorectal cancer. The expression of bcl-2 and p53 was determined by immunohistochemistry in 47 samples of histologically normal colonic mucosa, 19 adenomas and 53 adenocarcinomas. Expression of bcl-2 in colonic crypts > 5 cm from the tumours was confined to crypt bases but was more extensive and intense in normal crypts < 5 mm from cancers. A higher proportion of adenomas (63.2%) than carcinomas (36.5%) expressed bcl-2 (P < 0.05). A lower proportion of adenomas (31.6%) than carcinomas (62.3%) expressed p53 (P < 0.02). A total of 26.3% of adenomas and 22% of carcinomas expressed both bcl-2 and p53. To determine whether these samples contained cells which expressed both proteins, a dual staining technique for bcl-2 and p53 was used. Only 1/19 adenomas and 2/53 carcinomas contained cells immunopositive for both bcl-2 and p53. Moreover there was evidence of reciprocity of expression of bcl-2 and p53 in these three double staining neoplasms. We suggest that bcl-2 provides a survival advantage in the proliferative compartment of normal crypts and colorectal neoplasms. However, its expression is lost during the evolution from adenoma to carcinoma, whereas p53 expression is increased, an event generally coincident with the expression of stabilised p53, which we presume to represent the mutant form.
CitationEvidence for reciprocity of bcl-2 and p53 expression in human colorectal adenomas and carcinomas. 1996, 73 (8):889-95 Br. J. Cancer
JournalBritish Journal of Cancer
- bcl-2 and p53 oncoprotein expression during colorectal tumorigenesis.
- Authors: Sinicrope FA, Ruan SB, Cleary KR, Stephens LC, Lee JJ, Levin B
- Issue date: 1995 Jan 15
- Apoptosis and immunohistochemical bcl-2 expression in colorectal adenomas and carcinomas. Aspects of carcinogenesis and prognostic significance.
- Authors: Baretton GB, Diebold J, Christoforis G, Vogt M, Müller C, Dopfer K, Schneiderbanger K, Schmidt M, Löhrs U
- Issue date: 1996 Jan 15
- Elevated expression of Bcl-X and reduced Bak in primary colorectal adenocarcinomas.
- Authors: Krajewska M, Moss SF, Krajewski S, Song K, Holt PR, Reed JC
- Issue date: 1996 May 15
- Proliferation and apoptosis in proliferative lesions of the colon and rectum.
- Authors: Kikuchi Y, Dinjens WN, Bosman FT
- Issue date: 1997 Aug
- Morphogenesis of nonpolypoid colorectal adenomas and early carcinomas assessed by cell proliferation and apoptosis.
- Authors: Nomura M, Watari J, Yokota K, Saitoh Y, Obara T, Kohgo Y
- Issue date: 2000 Jul