Pharmacokinetics, pharmacological and anti-tumour effects of the specific anti-oestrogen ICI 182780 in women with advanced breast cancer.
DeFriend, D J
Robertson, J F
Blamey, R W
Sutcliffe, F A
AffiliationCRC Department of Medical Oncology, University of Manchester, Christie Hospital, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractWe have assessed the pharmacokinetics, pharmacological and anti-tumour effects of the specific steroidal anti-oestrogen ICI 182780 in 19 patients with advanced breast cancer resistant to tamoxifen. The agent was administered as a monthly depot intramuscular injection. Peak levels of ICI 182780 occurred a median of 8-9 days after dosing and then declined but were above the projected therapeutic threshold at day 28. Cmax during the first month was 10.5 ng/ml-1 and during the sixth month was 12.6 ng ml-1. The AUCs were 140.5 and 206.8 ng day ml-1 on the first and sixth month of dosing respectively, suggesting some drug accumulation. Luteinising hormone (LH) and follicle-stimulating hormone (FSH) levels rose after withdrawal of tamoxifen and then plateaued, suggesting no effect of ICI 182780 on the pituitary-hypothalamic axis. There were no significant changes in serum levels of prolactin, sex hormone-binding globulin (SHBG) or lipids. Side-effects were infrequent. Hot-flushes and sweats were not induced and there was no apparent effect of treatment upon the endometrium or vagina. Thirteen (69%) patients responded (seven had partial responses and six showed "no change' responses) to ICI 182780, after progression on tamoxifen, for a median duration of 25 months. Thus ICI 182780, given by monthly depot injection, and at the drug levels described, is an active second-line anti-oestrogen without apparent negative effects on the liver, brain or genital tract and warrants further evaluation in patients with advanced breast cancer.
CitationPharmacokinetics, pharmacological and anti-tumour effects of the specific anti-oestrogen ICI 182780 in women with advanced breast cancer. 1996, 74 (2):300-8 Br. J. Cancer
JournalBritish Journal of Cancer
- Response to a specific antioestrogen (ICI 182780) in tamoxifen-resistant breast cancer.
- Authors: Howell A, DeFriend D, Robertson J, Blamey R, Walton P
- Issue date: 1995 Jan 7
- ICI 182,780 (Faslodex): development of a novel, "pure" antiestrogen.
- Authors: Howell A, Osborne CK, Morris C, Wakeling AE
- Issue date: 2000 Aug 15
- Effects of 4-hydroxytamoxifen and a novel pure antioestrogen (ICI 182780) on the clonogenic growth of human breast cancer cells in vitro.
- Authors: DeFriend DJ, Anderson E, Bell J, Wilks DP, West CM, Mansel RE, Howell A
- Issue date: 1994 Aug
- The effects of ICI 182,780, a pure anti-oestrogen, on the hypothalamic-pituitary-gonadal axis and on endometrial proliferation in pre-menopausal women.
- Authors: Thomas EJ, Walton PL, Thomas NM, Dowsett M
- Issue date: 1994 Nov
- Comparison of the effects of a pure steroidal antiestrogen with those of tamoxifen in a model of human breast cancer.
- Authors: Osborne CK, Coronado-Heinsohn EB, Hilsenbeck SG, McCue BL, Wakeling AE, McClelland RA, Manning DL, Nicholson RI
- Issue date: 1995 May 17