The quantitation and kinetics of unscheduled (repair) DNA synthesis in ultraviolet-irradiated human skin by automated image analysis.
AffiliationCRC Department of Epithelial Biology, Paterson Institute for Cancer Research, Christie Hospital NHS Trust, Manchester, U.K.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractGrain counting by eye is a tedious and time-consuming technique but one with great potential in cell kinetics and for the study of DNA excision repair activity (unscheduled DNA synthesis or UDS). We have been investigating the levels of UDS in human skin sections exposed in situ to ultraviolet radiation using a short-term incubation in tritiated thymidine and autoradiography and the decline in UDS levels with time (repair kinetics). We have adapted an automated image analysis system automatically to assess the number of grains over epidermal cell nuclei in autoradiographs of sections of epidermis. An excellent correlation was observed between visual counting and machine measurement of the area (in pixels) occupied by silver grains. The levels of UDS declined with time as lesions are progressively repaired. The half time (+/- standard deviation) for the reduction in UDS is 7.25 +/- 0.18 h. The grain counts can be significantly increased by increasing the autoradiographic exposure, by increasing the concentration of tritiated thymidine and by increasing the incubation time.
CitationThe quantitation and kinetics of unscheduled (repair) DNA synthesis in ultraviolet-irradiated human skin by automated image analysis. 1996, 135 (4):516-22 Br. J. Dermatol.
JournalThe British Journal of Dermatology
- Chronic radiation-induced alteration in hematopoietic repair during preclinical phases of aplastic anemia and myeloproliferative disease: assessing unscheduled DNA synthesis responses.
- Authors: Seed TM, Meyers SM
- Issue date: 1993 Oct 1
- Photoprotective role of epidermal melanin granules against ultraviolet damage and DNA repair in guinea pig skin.
- Authors: Ishikawa T, Kodama K, Matsumoto J, Takayama S
- Issue date: 1984 Nov
- Influence of in vitro low-level gamma-radiation on the UV-induced DNA repair capacity of human lymphocytes--analysed by unscheduled DNA synthesis (UDS) and comet assay.
- Authors: Mohankumar MN, Paul SF, Venkatachalam P, Jeevanram RK
- Issue date: 1998 Dec
- DNA repair following ultraviolet and N-ethyl-N-nitrosourea treatment of cells cultured from human fetal brain, intestine, kidney, liver, and skin.
- Authors: Gibson-D'Ambrosio RE, Leong Y, D'Ambrosio SM
- Issue date: 1983 Dec
- Dose response, wavelength dependence, and time course of ultraviolet radiation-induced unscheduled DNA synthesis in mouse skin in vivo.
- Authors: Kodama K, Ishikawa T, Takayama S
- Issue date: 1984 May